Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,447   Online: 1028

Shooter
    Multi Format

Help with identifying enlarger equipment.

I've never seen an enlarger in person. This is a "Beseler Photo Enlarger Model 45MX" but I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking at. Is this an older looking model? It looks like a light on the base board. So is that an extra light? Is this a complete setup that would enable me to make enlargements? This is all the information I have. I'd like to educate myself a little bit before I call the seller.

In general I'm looking for an enlarger that will do up to 4x5 in B&W.

Thanks for any information.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails beseler2.jpg   beseler.jpg  
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This enlarger will do 4x5. Looks to me like everything is there. I have one of these (colorhead variety) and love it.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    It has a cold light head installed and the condenser head is also included, which I prefer for better contrast control with multigrade paper and filters.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want a "complete" set, make sure negative carriers and lens comes with the unit. I do not see them. If the deal does not include them, you'll need them so pay appropriately.

Don't worry about the age of the enlarger. Most of good ones are pretty old. Mine is 50+ years old! I prefer older ones as they are made very VERY well.

What's on the baseboard is the light housing that came with the unit. It has an incandescent light bulb in it.

What's on the enlarger (silver looking unit) is called a "cold light" and it contains a specially made florescent type light bulb. Benefit of using this type of light source is that you are less affected by scratches and dust on negative. Con side is, if the bulb goes, it is very difficult to find a replacement.

Make sure the bellows is light tight and in good shape. Make sure the head goes up and down smoothly. I *think* MX model is motorized, so make sure that works, too.

Here's a link to some info.

http://www.jollinger.com/photo/enlar...eseler-45.html
    Last edited by tkamiya; 09-03-2012 at 10:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrede View Post
    I've never seen an enlarger in person. This is a "Beseler Photo Enlarger Model 45MX" but I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking at. Is this an older looking model? It looks like a light on the base board. So is that an extra light? Is this a complete setup that would enable me to make enlargements? This is all the information I have. I'd like to educate myself a little bit before I call the seller.

In general I'm looking for an enlarger that will do up to 4x5 in B&W.

Thanks for any information.
    You can find these in very good shape, where the frame is rigid and does not appreciably vibrate. You can also find them very "bouncy." I would give the u-frame a light smack with the side of your hand and see how quickly it settles down. Some of them can be quite awful. (I've owned three of these over the years.)

Cold light can make nice smooth prints. Most people use a timer/stabilizer combo that keeps the light consistent, as the tube changes output as it warms and cools, and exposures can vary wildly. You'll get more consistent exposures from the condenser head. If you want to go down the rabbit hole, search this site for "Cold Light vs. Condenser."

Most of the neg carriers for this series can be bought used for $20 or so on eBay.

If it's in good shape, you should be able to get it for $50-75. It might be worth a bit more with some lenses and carriers. People are just giving these things away now. Make sure you do your homework so you don't pay too much. I've seen complete darkrooms (with lenses, trays, bottles, everything) go for $200 in Atlanta. If this isn't top notch, just be patient, keep and eye on CraigsList and you'll find another, or something better.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I picked up a MCRX 4x5 with 4 carriers for $50 on Craigslist.. I would agree with the above post $50 to $75..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just got two somewhat-intact units for free...but a pristine one would be worth a couple hundred, methinks.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin