Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,286   Online: 1114

Shooter
    35mm

NEGATIVE CARRIER GLASS

Hi there, since long ago, I wonder why I find so much information about quality image provided by great lenses in both cameras and enlarger..., but almost no comments regarding how glass on the negative carrier can affect the quality of the print. I assume it should affect since the glass is focused or close to focus (it is in contact with the negative), and on the other hand the image is going through the glass anyway....
    Is this an issue then or am I missing something in my "reasoning"???
    kindest regards from Spain,
    Jesús

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think you will find this is already a well discussed issue. I am of the glassless school, but others will disagree.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The glass available today (float glass) is such high quality that unless there are visible defects, it is not an issue. If yu order select quality, it should be flaw free. The only product better is optical flat quality. I had a high precision enlarger and the negative carrier used 2 sheets 10" x 10" x 1/4". They cost several thousand dollars each.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Nobody uses "ordinary" glass for their camera lenses. You can hypotheticall use all kinds of special of types of glass for your negative carrier too, including optically flat coated stock. But a simplified
    approach to the problem would be to see what someone like Focal Point already offers. They can
    fit most enlargers. And as you might have already guessed, I'm one of those people who always uses a glass carrier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use anti-Newtonian glass for 4x5.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If OP wants to drive himself nuts, I had a thread going on this a while back:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/1...s-quality.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks so much everybody for the information. I never thought of the filter glass but it is a great option, with my negative carrier it will help very much to keep the negs flat.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin