Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,076   Online: 797

Shooter
    35mm

How to build a darkroom

Hi, I would like to know how to build a darkroom (which equipments do I need ...).
    Thank you.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Williams
    Hi, I would like to know how to build a darkroom (which equipments do I need ...).
    Thank you.
    Well, what kind of darkroom do you want to build, how much money do you have to spend, what kind of space do you have?

Questions first... answwers second.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Well I have a room with 2.5 X 2 meters and I just want to develop my own photos (color or B&W)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I found some decent info on this site:

http://www.darkroomsource.net/

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I found some decent info on this site:

http://www.darkroomsource.net/
    Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You ask a very large question ...

To develop film you will need, at a minimum:
    Developing tank & reels
    Thermometer made specifically for photography
    Measuring graduates (two or three from 10ml to 500ml)
    A clock or timer
    Developer of your choice
    Stop Bath
    Fixer
    You need to load the film on to the reel and put it in to the tank in total darkness - after that, everything else is done in normal light. If you can not blackout a room, you will also need a large changing bag to load the film on to the reel and tank.

If you want to develop colour film, you will need a large bowl to fill with hot water to put the tank in to keep the chemicals at the required high temperature.

To enlarge, it gets more complicated as the options expand as to which type of enlarger, what formats you will use now and in the future, how much you are willing to spend and what is available in your part of the world etc...

Probably the best thing initially is to visit your local library where you should find a suitable book or two. Then, if you have a specific question feel free to ask any questions about methods, materials or equipment.

Cheers, Bob.

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you will provide an e-mail address I will send the floor plan of my new darkroom. 4'-0" x 7'-8".

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin