Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,875   Online: 953

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Ten minutes ago I picked an "AGFA Rezepte" 1951 book out of my mailbox. It contains recipes for just about every AGFA developer, stop, fix and toner ever published (except the then-new Agfacolor process).

Plenty to play with there...
    Does it have the recipe for Neutol WA by any chance? If so, can you list it here please and thank you?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't think they had Neutol WA in 1951.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier
    Does it have the recipe for Neutol WA by any chance? If so, can you list it here please and thank you?
    Only if it also has a number...

But here is Agfa 105, a soft-working paper developer for neutral tone - lust as Neutol WA:

Metol.......................15g
    Sodium sulfite............75g
    Potassium carbonate...75g
    Pot. bromide...............2g

Total 1 liter water, then dilute 1+4 to 1+5 for use.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    I do !

Assuming you're asking for the stout.

With today's weather I guess the Imperial stout makes the most sense.

400 grams of Black patent
    1kg carastan [it's a light munich]
    1kg wheat malt
    1kg wheat flakes
    10.5 kgs of 2 row malt

Kettle additions

2kgs of light brown sugar [Not sure what you'd use in the UK for this. Treacle would be stronger in flavour and not ferment to the same extent. I'd go for a mix of cane sugar and molasses]

250 grams of Hallertua hops. You can swap in anything that'll give you a similar hop level.

It's a long boil. Figure 1.5 + hours depending on how much you sparge.

batch size ended up at 42 litres. SG 1.086 and FG 1.014 for the last batch I made. Obviously the ferment will take awhile. Use lots of fresh ale yeast. I normally make a batch of bitter first and when that gets racked off the yeast cake I make this beer up and pour it right onto the yeast cake. If you do that make sure you have LOTS of head room. It can be an explosive ferment. Think volcano.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier
    Daniel, there is a thread titled "All the same developer" in the APUG Chemistry Recipes.

The current version of Agfa Neutol WA is a Phenidone/Hydroquinone developer according to the most recent Agfa MSDS sheet. Neutol WA is reported to be very similar to Ilford ID-78. The recipe for ID-78 was posted by Ian Grant in the APUG Chemistry Recipes section.

From the Chemistry Recipes thread:

"Well, Dektol is a Metol/Hydroquinone developer.

Bromophen, Ilford Universal and Ilford Multigrade are all Phenidone/Hydroquinone developers with development characteristics that are similar to Dektol's.

Agfa Neutol WA is a warm toned Phenidone/Hydroquinone developer, it is most similar to Ilford ID 78.

The other version of Agfa Neutol is an ascorbic acid based developer - with very different characteristics from Agfa Neutol WA.

By argentic - 06:06 PM, 12-12-2004 Rating: None
    Hi Tom,

I knew that warmtone Neutol isn't the same. But wWhat about Afga Neutol NE?
    By Tom Hoskinson - 08:44 PM, 12-12-2004 Edit Rating: None
    According to the current Agfa MSDS, the current version of Agfa Neutol NE contains the same chemicals that are listed for Agfa-120 (see the APUG Chemistry Section recipe), with the addition of EDTA, Tetrasodium salt (i.e. water softener).

The Neutral Tone of the NE version of Neutol is probably achieved by reducing/adjusting the amount of Potassium Bromide."
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin