Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,937   Online: 797

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm

Leitz V35 light output

There was a carrier produced with a larger aperture to print black borders. It may be quite hard to find. You could try the German eBay site. I have seen lots of V35 stuff there in the past. You should use the pressure levers as any border you see when they are not applied means that the negative is not flat in the carrier. By coincidence, my other enlarger is a Durst M601. It is also a great machine. Alex

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for that Alex. I am still using the M601 for 6x6 and it's great. Out of interest, what do you see are the pros and cons of each enlarger? Do you use the 601 for 35mm?

Shooter
    35mm

Leitz V35 light output

I used the 601 only for 35mm until I bought the V35. I then bought a Rolleicord Vb, and now use the 601 only for 6x6. The V35 is a superior design. It is very stable, even at big print sizes. With the 40mm lens you can produce large prints on the baseboard. The Durst is a bit more limited that way. I have looked at my copy of the book "Leica Darkroom Practice" by R. Speck and I see that the black border carrier is part 17011. I got a set of the film cradles(17425) from Mr Cad in Croydon, England. They attach to the neg carrier and make it easier to handle. They may already be fitted to yours. As far as I can see, the 13139 lamp you have is the latest model for the V35. The original was the 6604. It sounds as if your V35 has already been upgraded. If I am wrong about that, then perhaps another forum member can let us know. The book I mention can be found online. It doesn't tell you much new about printing, but it is a useful guide if you have a V35. Alex

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Right you are, alex! Its been a long, long time since I've purchased a Phillips bulb, so as soon as I read "it has a phillips bulb, no...." my mind jumped to the old 6604 bulb and the headaches that come with it. The 13139 is indeed the correct bulb, though cheaper replacements can be had by purchasing so-called EFN or EFY bulbs (EFN has something like a 50-hour life, and the EFY is 1000 hours or something like that, in the same reflector housing). So, keep on trucking and don't worry about buying a bulb adapter.

The book is a good one, and you can get snippets on Google Books. Otherwise it carries a bit of a collectors price tag.
    My real name is Patrick, not Joe. Long Story.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks Alex and Patrick. And thanks everyone else. Really appreciate the info.

Shooter
    35mm

Leitz V35 light output

One thing occurred to me that you should check out. The V35 has a transformer built into the base unit. There were different specs for variations in the local supply voltage. There is a switchable device on the back of mine to adjust for different voltages. I'm not an electrical engineer, but I would think that a mismatch of voltage could affect your light output. Regards, Alex.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mesh View Post
    Thanks AeroDan - that makes sense. I will definitely try and source a new one.

I feel much more confident focusing, and the neg carrier is waaaay nicer.
    Focussing? The V35 has the best auto-focus system in the world, assuming you have the 40mm f2.8 Focotar. I used to check it was true before every session; now about once every 6 months! No more taking off specs, bending over and peering into focus-scopes for me.
    Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Mesh, the light mixing box in your V35, is it the old or updated version? Take it out & feel with your finger around the bottom near the lens, the updated version has a small plastic 'pimple' you can feel (see http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/v35.htm#Light Path). If you have the older one it IS worth upgrading - I know, I upgraded mine, and saw the difference straight away just looking at a blank baseboard. They are still available as a spare part from Leica, ordered through the Australian distributor Adeal in Melbourne, no worries. Contrary to what you've been told here, Leica USA will not sell/send outside the US, they will only ship to a US address. As for Philips 13139, I've long been able to get them from GMT Lighting in Melbourne (Hawthorn), a veritable Aladdin's Cave of bulbs, phone 03 9819 1777, their product code 1059, cost about $25 each. Normally I'd keep that secret, but don't mind telling as I'm going to do the Heiland Splitgrade LED cold light system (http://www.imx.nl/photo/technique/splitgrade.html) upgrade for my V35. Aaaaaaaaalso, there's a German firm, Kienzle Phototechnik (http://www.kienzle-phototechnik.de) that make a whole bunch of accessories for the V35, including a very good 25x37mm negative carrier for your nice black borders, quite fairly priced too compared to the stupid prices the old Leitz negative carriers fetch on Ebay, better made too by the looks of them. When buying a used V35 make sure it's not the 50mm version (unless that's what you want) - there was a cheapo 50mm version of the (normally very expensive when new) V35 that came delivered with a shitty Rodenstock 'Ysaron' 50mm lens, this version will not autofocus with a 40mm lens, there's tonnes out there in Australia, they either have a 50mm lens on it or no lens at all, beware. Finally, if you want the best lens ever for it, better than the Leitz, get a Schneider 40mm 2.8 APO-Componon HM.... it is OUTSTANDING.... but the price is ASTOUNDING! Again, as with the mixing box, I've seen the difference with this lens on my V35. Quite amazing really how this enlarger is still supported with the parts & things you can still get for them, even in Australia! Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KienzleV35.jpg  
    Last edited by gamincurieux; 09-25-2013 at 10:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    You can see I've circled in red on that attachment, which was meant for someone else I sent it to... but what I've circled there is something else Kienzle offer: a CONDENSER light mixbox for the V35! I for one will definitely be getting it to try. If there is just one negative aspect to the V35 (and this is only one!) is that it has a diffused light source (yes yes the mixbox has a condenser lens in it, two in the case of the updated box, but they're still opaque/diffuse), so prints can lack that certain 'punch' that only a condensed light source can give... simply turning up the contrast grade won't get you there, this is something only a condenser will do. Of course that look is not always appropriate, but oftentimes it is, and this will give you that option on the V35.
    Last edited by gamincurieux; 09-25-2013 at 06:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let us know how the Kienzle condenser box works out. I'd love to try it but 260 Euros is a bit too rich for me right now. Nevertheless, it's a seductive prospect having both light qualities in a single machine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin