Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,423   Online: 1207

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Leitz V35 light output

Just had the first session with my 'new' V35. Lovely to use - feels wonderful. I was surprised however that my dev times are about 4x longer! I have the colour head and am using about 60M to simulate what previously was about Mg2-3 (seems accurate). There is a bit of haze in the lens (which I plan on getting cleaned professionally) but not sure if this would be the only cause. For comparison, I was producing the same print with my Meopta 5 and an el-nikkor @ f8 around 30 seconds. It's now well over 2 minutes. Any ideas? Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some lamps are wider than the enlarger uses so most of the light is lost. Check to see if you have the correct lamp/holder combination.

Shooter
    35mm
    It may be that you lamp is incorrectly positioned (they are as far as I am aware, adjustable for position.) If it is the original Leitz enlarging lens, they have a reputation for developing fungus so getting it cleaned is a good move. I regretted getting rid of my V35 a few years ago when the darkroom I had then was dismantled.

Don't forget the Meopta Enlarger may have had direct lighting via condensers which would have made the light much brighter, but if I remember rightly the V35 has a combination of single condenser and diffuser which will cut down the light levels.

The filtration to get the following grades with the V35 are the same as for Durst Enlargers:-

Grade
    2.5 = 20M
    3 = 45M
    3.3 = 65M
    4 = 100M

All the grades for Ilford Multigrade are on the leaflet included with each packet/box of paper.
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 09-22-2012 at 04:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm

Leitz V35 light output

Hi. The 40mm Focotar lens should give best results at f5.6. That is what Leitz recommend for normal use. With the colour head, using the dual filtration values from the Ilford data, sheet you should get exposures of 4 to 8 seconds for an 8x10 print. Check that you have not dialled in some cyan filtration and that the correct lamp is fitted. I don't think the lamp is adjustable on this model.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for all the replies - much appreciated. The lamp is a Philips 13139 and it appears to be fitted correctly. I assume it's the right holder too but I might need to google more pics to be sure. Am now using 5.6 (with 20 Magenta) but still with 60 sec + times. No big deal - in fact it's nice to have more time to dodge and burn, but it seems a long time compared to what I am used to. I might look into sourcing a new lamp just in case that it the issue.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Sooo....

Email Leica US in New Jersey ASAP and order a bulb adapter for your enlarger. Philips discontinued the 13139 years and years ago, so your hopes of finding a new one are about zilch. Order through Leica, not the Canadian seller on eBay, since the price is about half for the real deal. Still about $90, though.

There's also some fuss about the older V35 having a single-condenser mixing box, while the later ones had double-condenser boxes and supposedly more even light output. I've measured mine and have found a center vs. edge variance (in and older V35 with a bulb adapter and an EFY bulb) of about 1/5 of a stop. (.06 density variance), so you'll be fine with what you've got.
    My real name is Patrick, not Joe. Long Story.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Also, grab the before-mentioned Ilford contrast guide and use their numbers. They'd know best how to work magic on their own papers.
    My real name is Patrick, not Joe. Long Story.

Shooter
    35mm
    mesh - I had the exact same situation, and it turned out that the bulb in my enlarger (while working) was on the way out. They lose brightness rather than just kicking out... get a new lamp and I'll bet your issue will be resolved. I went from 243second exposures to 20seconds with that one...

Good luck, it's a great enlarger!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks AeroDan - that makes sense. I will definitely try and source a new one.

Whilst I have some V35 experts here, can I please ask one more silly question? I know I'm pushing my luck ;-) I quite like a black border on my prints, and I get it using the standard holder but only if I don't use the levers to put pressure on the plate. I am assuming it's important to keep the film flat but with it activated I can't get borders all the way around. Were there other carriers available to show a larger amount of the neg? It's not a biggie - just thought I'd ask whilst I had you guys around. Thanks heaps.

For what it's worth, I am really happy with the V35. I also have a Durst M601 and the Metopta 5 - both which are nice, but the Leitz is so much more 'solid' and positive to use. I feel much more confident focusing, and the neg carrier is waaaay nicer.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Just read your post Captain_joe6. Thanks for that info. I'll try and source one through Leica as you suggest but I am also thinking of buying another new version which is going for a reasonable price. I'd like to keep using it for another 50 years so a spare or two probably can't hurt ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin