Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,594   Online: 826

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

What would you do? (Darkroom enlargers) relics from the past

Penniless now...
    got a mother ****ing darkroom enlarger purchased a few years back from a newspaper photographer. The damn thing is pretty to me. On the surface it appears to be some techno-gadget from the future...not the past. But, I have deduced it's all in perception. Question is now... what the hell do I do with it? I called around local photo shops and discovered its US dollar value to be only around fifty bucks. this particular model was made by KODAK in Rochester, NY around 1950. Damn thing still works fine. got a piece of condensor glass manufactured back then with American engenuity and quality in mind. Irreplacable. My thoughts now... are perhaps, when I expire... lnto the eternal darkroom... I should put it in a simple will or donate it to the Smithsonian Institution. What would you do?

More later.....

do you own any particular Darkroom Enlargers you would never part with?

What would you do?

Images
    I have a Kodak from about the same time period. My is a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 condenser model. It has an Ektar lens. Works great.

I would suggest you use it if you need it. If you're looking to get rid of it, you're right, it's not worth much. Not to say it isn't a good working piece. Too many enlargers and not enough photographers. Does it have lens and negative holders? Is the lamp house and condenser stage all polished aluminum? Post a picture. Love to see it.

Do I own an enlarger I'd never part with? I have 3 enlargers now, 2 Bes 45Ms and the Kodak. The Kodak was my father's, so I feel more attached to it, but hey, it's just an enlarger. Then again, I sold it to a friend 20 years ago and now he gave it back. Go figure.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    use them and past them on to the next generation. And there will be a next generation of film users.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Funny how one feels about equipment.

I started my printing business in 1991 and the first piece of equipment was a 20 inc rc black and white processor. This machine has been a wonderful working device, now it is old and parts not available.It is still hanging in and I think it is too stubborn to quit and be put to pasture.
    I have a problem, I do not want to scrap the processor when its done its last print, as it has stood by me through thick and thin, 6 moves , constant changes.
    I think I should be loyal to a trusted friend, therefore I have decided to make a working correction table out of it with all the racks, bushings , wiring intact and use it in my correction area and we will work together for years to come.
    Maybe I am getting sappy, about this but !!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

follow-up to that ol' darkroom enlarger

In responsed to the tread ... what would you do?

I have not had the opportunity to photograph the ol' Model A...
    but I have entered comments into my personal journals.

here is what i wrote on the what I affectionately have called "The Orb"

the Orb... better known as the Precision Enlarger of days gone by.

I have dubbed thee the orb because your top appears as a small globe and looks to me like a piece of scientific equipment one may find in a lab of the future. but, you my friend are a thing of the past. Who is to say that you have outlived your usefullness. Circa Circa... the light you provide is like that of a glass fiber optic. Perhaps, this is why your creators dubbed you the Precision ""A" You give me an aperature of my own choosing and refusing to judge my incompetencies. You may be considered an antique in some regard by your digital young, but you still give me a deep satisfaction.

You are timeless in an age of time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an ancient Kodak 8 1/2 by 6 camera with a couple of lens without shutters so it's stop down to f125, off caps and start the timer. I've had some great fun making pictures with it. I did intend to take it with me when I go to meet my maker but by the time I get it and the other bits and pieces that I want to take with me there will be no room for me in the box.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    I have an ancient Kodak 8 1/2 by 6 camera with a couple of lens without shutters so it's stop down to f125, off caps and start the timer. I've had some great fun making pictures with it. I did intend to take it with me when I go to meet my maker but by the time I get it and the other bits and pieces that I want to take with me there will be no room for me in the box.
    Les, isn't your darkroom, a large box? Just bury you in that thing. You will have plenty of room for all the bits and peices, and a darkroom in which to keep you occupied in the next life.

BTW I have a 6 1/2x 8 1/2 too with a lens including full waterhouse stops for it.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would make sure you have a following of heirs that admire the object and the function as much as you. If you don't yet, adopt! I, on the other hand, am on the collecting end of your antithesis: I just recovered a 5x7" IFF Ampliator enlarger from the garbage heap, and am trying to figure out the many things about it:
    Where to fit such a HUGE machine for one
    How it works, for another...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    As the lead for my photography group I get lots of stuff left at my door step. For example, I have a Zone VI enlarger in the garage that a friend of mine dropped off.
    I usually donate them off to schools or other non-profit art organizations. You can look in your area for doing the same. Get a tax write off.
    As to the Zone VI I waiting for another friend to take it away. If he doesn't then I'll be posting on Ebay or here on Apug.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd like to hear more about the Zone VI, Robert. I'm currently using a Beseler Dichro 67 and am thinking about upgrading.

Bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin