Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,057   Online: 1027

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great advice from everyone. Thank you so much. Once I am done with my darkroom I'll post some pictures and specs.

Thanks again!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would buy used and buy the largest format I could afford. You might try larger formats later. Omega and Beseler are two top brands. I have a 30 Beseler I bought new and never regretted the purchase. I do like Durst Laborator 1200 too.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The predecessor to the Printmaker 67 is the 67C, and is a better choice. Most of the accessories are interchangeable between the two versions. I used a Beseler 67C for decades as my enlarger, and still have one in storage in case circumstances permit setting up a two enlarger darkroom.

Many of the 67 series enlargers have colour heads installed. They are an excellent option for black and white use, if a diffusion head meets your needs. In the last couple of years of use I installed a colour head on my 67C.

I've attached a photo of my 67C with colour head, showing the cart I used and the bathroom I used it in.

There are also variable contrast black and white heads available, but they are less frequently found used.
    May I ask what you are using for the table? I need something similar that's roughly 24" x 30" but is transportable.

Steve

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by cinetango View Post
    Beseler - Printmaker 35 Condenser Enlarger with Lens Kit
    Beseler - Printmaker 67 Condenser Enlarger

Will these ones do the job? I'm not sure if these ones handle 120...

Any suggestions, advise or comments

I second the advice on the D2 or similar. Even though it may give you problems with your storage availability it's a big, solid device that will resist movement during exposure, even if you only use it for 35mm. Many 35mm only enlargers are suspect in their stability. Second to that the Beseler 23C II or III is a good medium format choice and I think those handle 6x9 sized negatives.

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another bid for a Beseler 23C. I had an older one (blue and gray) which had a cold light head in it, and the shorter column. I would wheel it in and out of my bathroom on a kitchen cart, and I could store my vertical slot processor underneath on the bottom shelf of the cart. It was a fantastic setup. I had to get rid of it when I moved to California, so when I moved back to DC, I replaced it with a more modern 23C II XL which had the longer column and a dichroic head for variable contrast printing, and used it the same way. Given what these things sell for on the used market, it really doesn't make financial sense to go with a lesser enlarger because you don't really save very much money, but you gain a lot from rigidity and flexibility. In fact, I've still got the 23C with the dichro head, but I've moved to a 45MX for the rare occasions that I do enlarge now. If you're interested, I'd be willing to sell it, along with an appropriate lens and a couple of negative carriers to get you started. PM me if you're interested.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you are buying an enlarger and it is your only enlarger, then I think the main question you must ask yourself is do I want a condenser or diffuser. This decision will impact on the way you expose and develop your negatives.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scheimfluger_77 View Post
    May I ask what you are using for the table? I need something similar that's roughly 24" x 30" but is transportable.

Steve
    Hi Steve:

A microwave cart, much like this one: http://www.target.com/p/chrome-micro...art/-/A-512609
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You didn't mention where you were based, and used enlarger supply varies quite a bit around the world. If you are in Europe, especially in UK or Ireland, you may be able to pick a used De Vere, those are built like a tank, and they are still being serviced and supported by Odyssey Sales. I use a De Vere 504 for all of my printing, mainly 4x5 and 120.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just moved to Miami from LA and most likely will be getting a condenser enlarger. I am thinking of a good condition Beseler 23C II...
    Thanks for all the help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone. I bought a Beseler 23c II. Now I am waiting anxiously for it to arrive. Now more questions:

What paper developer for RC and Fiber, Stop, and fixer do you guys recommend for me to start with? I prefer to keep it simple at this stage until I get a handle on everything, so if it is liquid concentrated or pre-mixed will be better.

Thanks!

~Raul

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin