Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,531   Online: 894

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

help with Beseler color head

I have the Beseler 23C series II enlarger with the color head . Usually printed B&W the prints don't seem to
    be any different using the mag/blue/yel filtration.
    What do the colors do? I like a lot of contrast in my photos. thanks!
    i dont have the manual on the color head.
    ez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What paper are you using?

If it is variable contrast paper, the magenta filtration will increase the contrast, while the yellow filtration will decrease the contrast.

The third filter is a cyan filter - it will have no effect on the contrast, and is rarely used at all.

There is a white light position on the controls that moves the filters out of the light path. If it is engaged, changing the filter settings will have no effect.

If everything is working correctly, turning the magenta filter control higher will make the light look more magenta.

The same is true for the yellow filter control (light will look more yellow) and the cyan filter control (light will look more cyan).

If you have more than one filter control set to a number, the resulting light will be a combination of them all.

I have a pdf of the manual for a Beseler CIII, including the colour head. If you would like it emailed to you, send me an APUG pm with your email address.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks! i have to pull the enlarger out to find this white lite lever. If i remember right there is a leve on the side i never touch.
    Never noticed any color in the light even w/ 150M on. yes please send manual. I have 23C manual but not the color head. thanks!
    ezwriter1@verizon.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    pdf of manual sent, as per request .

It is a moderately large file.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're using graded paper, filtration won't change contrast. Variable contrast paper has blue and a green sensitive layers. The more magenta (-green) the higher the contrast. The more yellow (-blue) the lower the contrast. Your paper should come with instructions on how to change grades.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    If you're using graded paper, filtration won't change contrast.
    I have found that some graded papers, like Ilford Galerie, respond to filtration and they can offer up to a grade latitude. I realise this goes against common wisdom, but it just works. I wrote about it a while ago on this thread, illustrations included.

PS. I have just realised that you had participated on that thread, sorry for repeating myself...
    Last edited by Rafal Lukawiecki; 10-09-2012 at 04:02 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: PS.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
    I have found that some graded papers, like Ilford Galerie, respond to filtration and they can offer up to a grade latitude. I realise this goes against common wisdom, but it just works. I wrote about it a while ago on this thread, illustrations included.

PS. I have just realised that you had participated on that thread, sorry for repeating myself...
    I looked through that thread and don't see that anyone else was able to duplicate the experiment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wow didn't know that about Ilford Galerie

I had a box of Galerie decades ago in college. It was the most expensive and I was just learning how to print. Didn't make the most of it though. It was like giving a bottle of Châteauneuf-du-Pape to a beginning wine drinker.

I guess Galerie paper is like Donnie and Marie. A little bit Country and a little bit Rock n Roll.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I looked through that thread and don't see that anyone else was able to duplicate the experiment.
    Yes, no one else has reported repeating my steps with Galerie, but it seems to me that posts 3, 9, 13, and 23 of that thread mention other APUGers being able to change the contrast of some graded papers using enlarger filtration. IC, I would be happy to send you a sample of that old paper, since I no longer use it, if you would like to check my results, as long as you are interested. I would also be happy to print a step wedge for a more objective comparison. Personally, I no longer use those papers, so the results would be more of an interest to me to satisfy my curiosity rather than to achieve a specific goal.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, no one else has reported repeating my steps with Galerie, but it seems to me that posts 3, 9, 13, and 23 of that thread mention other APUGers being able to change the contrast of some graded papers using enlarger filtration. IC, I would be happy to send you a sample of that old paper, since I no longer use it, if you would like to check my results, as long as you are interested. I would also be happy to print a step wedge for a more objective comparison. Personally, I no longer use those papers, so the results would be more of an interest to me to satisfy my curiosity rather than to achieve a specific goal.
    I just wonder if that paper was actually multigrade paper and not manufactured as single grade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin