Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,517   Posts: 1,572,180   Online: 1075

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jobo back in US

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I recently bought brand new 1 liter Jobo bottles from Freestyle for $6 each, and I noticed they have brand new stainless film reels from Hewes in stock for both 135 and 120 film, for both the 1500 and 2500 series tanks. No actual tanks yet, but the other parts are much cheaper than used ones on ebay.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    There is a difference between a importer-distributor and a dealer.
    Good point. But if freestyle is in fact the sole U.S. distributer why would they choose to diminish profits by selling wholesale to other dealers? Doesn't make any sense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Why not use the (easily found) plastic ones?

I use them for everything from 35mm up to 4x5" and think they're fine.
    I think some people are just hung up on stainless (possibly from using bad plastic reels in the past) and prefer them.

That's fine of course, but I find the plastic Jobo reels the easiest to load of any reel I've ever used, and they work fine. The only advantage I can think of to the stainless ones is that you can blast the daylights out of them with a hairdryer without worry about damaging them from the heat, then re-use them quickly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    I recently bought brand new 1 liter Jobo bottles from Freestyle for $6 each, and I noticed they have brand new stainless film reels from Hewes in stock for both 135 and 120 film, for both the 1500 and 2500 series tanks. No actual tanks yet, but the other parts are much cheaper than used ones on ebay.
    Good find. I am really looking forward to seeing these items in retail outlets like Freestyle rather than eBay hoarders who often triple the price.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Progress on the home build

Tank is welded together, lift is mounted, motor and control are finished..programming it is spectacular..millions of possible variables in the rotation and cycle. Need to install the drum pan, a couple fittings, machine a spindle adapter to accept the drive gear, fill it with water and develop film!!! Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Evan - can you post some photos of your machine?
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I will post a youtube video early next week with it actually running drums and all the finish touches applied. I am using a 260 oz/in NEMA 23 stepper motor and controlling it numerically as a rotary axis in CNC G-Code. Will be able to drive the Expert drums in fine fashion and with a couple variables, be able to do cycle times easily. The next one will be a two axis drum, tank and tray agitator which can be programmed to do semi stand with very articulate routines.It will be able to shake in an xy pattern, angular, swirl in a circle or elipse or combinations of all the above and will have programmable dwells. I'll be able to walk away and have it do an agitation routine once every ten minutes and repeat it for an hour..I am pretty excited about it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I read lots of talks about the difficulty to load film on those plastic reels when the reels are not absolutely dry. I am wondering if this is also true for jobo reels?

On the other hand, I have used stainless steel reels all the time when I hand-developed my black and white films, and felt very comfortable of using them.

Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Why not use the (easily found) plastic ones?

I use them for everything from 35mm up to 4x5" and think they're fine.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I dunno if I want to build another drum processor. Gotta change a gearmotor in my 30X40 soon, so
    thought about building a 40X60" unit. Of course I could simply install a 50" Kreonite roller processor,
    but the more techie something is, the more that can go wrong, and I'm not terribly excited about
    replenishment systems with pumps and circuit boards, and difficulty finding spare parts. The bigger
    they get the better the temp control and insulation needs to be. This is for color paper of course.
    The Jobo system has always been a little underbuilt, but it's been available and otherwise generally
    reliable. And the new gear isn't really all that expensive if you extrapolate what the old gear once cost relative to inflation. With do-it-yourself you can in fact build something a lot nice for personal
    use at modest rates which would be impossible for a reseller of multiple units, esp if patents are involved.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by newtorf View Post
    I read lots of talks about the difficulty to load film on those plastic reels when the reels are not absolutely dry. I am wondering if this is also true for jobo reels?

On the other hand, I have used stainless steel reels all the time when I hand-developed my black and white films, and felt very comfortable of using them.
    I always heard the same thing. I've never tried to load them wet.

I think it's really what you get used to. I tried using SS reels for a while and never managed to load even one roll of 36x entirely onto the reel. Hell, I couldn't even manage it with the lights on. And yes, it's possible the reel was bad but I doubt it. It was brand new and shorter loads fit fine but there just wasn't enough reel for the film. Even loading shorter rolls lights out was problematical for me. I could usually manage it but often with much cussing.

I started with plastic so moving to the SS ones seemed backwards from the start.

I have to repeat though that I find the Jobo reels the easiest to load of any I've used, whatever the material. Oddly enough the smaller 1500 reels seem easier to load to me than the 2500, but both are easy enough it's a no-brainer. Moving to 120 took some getting used to in order to not crimp the film while dealing with the curl in the dark, but a sacrificed roll of Arista EDU Ultra with the lights on fixed that.

I use the loader base for the 4x5 reels and it's even easier than 35mm. I know some people load those reels without the loader base and I'm sure it's possible (I can do it ok with the lights on) but the loader base makes it extremely easy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin