Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,016   Online: 1090

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The red disk will let you position your paper without exposing it.

I'm here with all the rest. I'm also over 30 years of programming/sysadmin/etc, I don't compile my own operating systems or make cross-compilers anymore but still spend many hours at my keyboard and still more than 40/week. Most of my hobbies don't involve computers ( some have parts that do.. I also am into amateur radio astronomy which needs custom software )

That's part of the draw to film for me, but I also like the "tangible' and physical aspect of it, as well as the manual craft part. I just got back to film after being away >30 years.

have fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As for the red disc, I'm pretty sure that the idea is that you can put your paper on the easel, focus the enlarger (with the red light), remove the red disc, and then expose your print. Supposedly the red light won't fog paper. My enlarger has a similar device, but I don't use it and instead focus on a separate piece of white paper before taking out the photo paper and making my print. I find this much simpler, plus I don't have to worry about any possible fogging. I don't know about the rectangles, perhaps they correspond to paper sizes?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Home Zack !

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    28 for me not counting college but the same still applies!

Welcome fellow film enthusiast and linux user! Switched to ubuntu in 2005 and never looked back!

Lot's of great stuff here. And great people, too!

Me too! And "Computer Networks."
    Not long ago I replaced them with Ansel Adam's Triology, BTZS - Phil Davis and few others. Much more relaxing now...
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm
    With the red rectangles, I cannot tell if they were glued in by the factory or if the previous owner glued them in his self. There are rectangles punched out in the sheet metal so the light casts above and below the frame.

This is not the carrier from durst. The 6x6 is from durst and from what I understand, the 6x6 had a plate you added for 35mm film. My 35mm carrier is 5/8 too wide and a bit too long and no brand shown.

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I'm very excited to be part of this group and learn more about this fine art we call photography and darkroom magic.
    Last edited by zackesch; 10-16-2012 at 07:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by zackesch View Post
    Also, in my 35mm film carrier, there are two red rectangles. One is above the negitive and the other is below. They are about 1/3 the length of the exposure. Any idea on what those are for?
    I may be wrong but I would guess these allow you to see the sprocketed part of the film where the info about film type and exposure number are.

Louis G

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin