Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,045   Online: 894

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Converted to film

I am officially converting from digital to film. Long story short, i do not want to pay the money to keep up with digital. Plus, being a design engineer, im sitting in front of the computer for 8 hours a day, and i do not want my hobby to be behind a screen. Fortunately, I didnt have too much invested in my digital gear, being a canon rebel xt with the 18-55 kit lens, 75-300 sigma, and my pride and joy of my lenses my canon 50mm 1.4. All my software is open source “im a linux user.”

On ebay, I bought a canon elan II and a Durst F60 with Fexicon 50 and 75 condensing lens, Beslar 75 and 50mm printing lens, OEM film carrier for 6x6, generic 35mm film carrier, polycontrast filters: pc1, pc 2.5, pc 3.5, pc 4.5. Both for around 75.

My local photography shops stock Ilford film, Ilford paper and the chemicals/lab supplies needed. With all this being VERY new to me, im very excited to learn and grow in this hobby.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    welcome to apug and film Zach. The people here are a great resource and btw you are not the only linux user here.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Converted to film

Welcome to the dark side. Or at least the dark room....

I came back to film a couple of years ago. I find that film encourages me to be "in the moment". I find more joy in anticipating a shot, and waiting for the magic moment. I also prefer the feel and look of the analog image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome; another linux user (since 1993). Don't be surprised to someday get a hankering for 1950's-1970's photo equipment too. I'm sure the EOS gear is nice and capable, but it doesn't represent the breadth of awesomeness of equipment choices.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Congratulations in escaping from the virtual world into the real one.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you have any books to get started? If not here is a good one you can download free: http://www.ebooksdownloadfree.com/Ph...k-BI25025.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome to APUG and to film, Zack. I also switched back to film almost two years ago when I built a 35mm version of the Populist Pinhole camera. Didn't take me long to drag my SLR out, then buy a more modern AF SLR (my eyesight isn't what it used to be, sadly).

I'm also in front of a computer 8 hours/day as I'm a web developer. It's nice to get away from the screen once in a while.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    Jp, I view the Elan more as my step into film. It has what im familiar with but in film. I put too much money into my 50mm 1.4 to let it sit around, plus i want to see what my 50mm is capable of in film. Dont you worry, i crave older gear too. Id love to get an AE-1, and find out personaly what range finders are capable of. I have much to learn and discover and I anticipate every moment of it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the link IC. My favorite photography books that i own are Bryan Petersons Fieldguide to Photography and The Rules of Photography and When to Brake Them by Haje Jan Kamps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG. You are not alone in detesting the behavior that the digital work flow requires. Been developing software for 30 years and can't stand to sit at a computer at home.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin