Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,065   Online: 830

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Leitz V35 original bulb fix

I've figured out a simple way of 'repairing' the original Philips 6604 bulb from the V35 that is no longer available anywhere on the planet a far as I can tell - and hasn't been for many years.

I've been all over the internet to see if anyone has done this but can't find any evidence of it. It might just get your Leica V35 up and running again if you haven't been inclined to spend $175 on a specially-machined part so that you can fit a more modern bulb.

The process is explained on my blog so please take a look and let me know what you think. It works fine for me and I'd be interested to know how you get on if you decide to give it a go.

http://www.theonlinedarkroom.com/201...-bulb-fix.html
    The Online Darkroom
    www.theonlinedarkroom.com

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I must admit I was not even aware of that spare problem. It is great to see another "I can do it myself" guy handling a problem!

The only problem I see is the perfect adjusting of a transversal (you call it horizontal) filament.
    (Depending on the reflector the bulb has been taken off, there might be differences in the position of the filimant within the bulb.)
    Last edited by AgX; 10-15-2012 at 08:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    There was a company here in UK a couple of years ago stating that they had the last bulbs in the uk for the V35. I was using a V35 at the time and I had no problem locating a new one from several dealers and I believe they are still available. I will check and get back to update.

I stand corrected - almost! The ORIGINAL specified bulb has been discontinued but has been replaced by another with identical properties and fitting. The universal code number for this bulb is 13139

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not aware that the Philips 6604 is available anywhere as it's been out of production for years. It's possible someone has some sitting on a shelf which would be great. Don't confuse it with the later 13139 bulb which is out of production but still quite widely available.
    The Online Darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice job on coming up with a solution! The V35 is a great enlarger, and a way of truly appreciating what the 35mm medium is capable of. A joy to use.

I feel lucky that I purchased a lifetime supply of bulbs to go with the enlarger.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    The ORIGINAL specified bulb has been discontinued but has been replaced by another with identical properties and fitting. The universal code number for this bulb is 13139
    The 6604 and the 13139 are not the same fitting. There were two different versions of the bulb-holder in the V35, due to the original bulb being discontinued by Philips. There is a handy diagram and details at this link. Also note that there are a couple of different versions of 13139, with different manufacturers and very different expected service lives.

I looked on my previous supplier for Philips 13139 and they are "no longer available - last stock" on the website. This mod, by the OP, could be very useful in the future.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Martin,

If I hadn't been able to do this bulb fix, the next project would have involved grinding away part of the original bulb holder so that it would accept the 13139 bulb. I REALLY didn't fancy doing that so I'm glad I got it to work! Thanks for pointing out the difference between the 6604 and 13139 bulb. It confuses a lot of people as you can see in this thread so it's definitely worth repeating.
    The Online Darkroom

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Also, Leica can still provide a bulb adapter for about $90.
    My real name is Patrick, not Joe. Long Story.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, I ended up with the bulb-adapter as my (secondhand) V35 is pretty old. The problem we now face is that the "new", replacement, bulb (Philips 13 139) which fits in these adapters and directly in the newer enlargers is also no longer made !! Oops.

This is where the cunning idea of Bruce might well be useful in the future.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Patrick,

My understanding is that the bulb adapters are no longer available from Leica. In the light of what you've said, I think I'll have to send them an email just to check.

Bruce
    The Online Darkroom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin