Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,133   Online: 867

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Relative, yes.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellent! Thanks!

Made some pictures last night. Works great!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pleased to hear it
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now my only problem is that I just spent the last two days in the darkroom splitting hairs!

I made about a dozen prints from the same negative. Every one was a good print, by itself, but each one was made at a slightly different time or contrast setting. Either that or I was taking measurements from slightly different locations in the image. After all that fussing around, I ended up with only one finished print. Only then because I had to call it quits.

It's really great that the Analyser Pro ALLOWS me to split hairs so much but one has to be careful not to get bogged down in such minutia that one can never finish!

I guess the Analyser Pro teaches you that you have to know what you want your photo to look like before you even click the shutter!
    Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My experience is that after a while you get the "feel" for what are appropriate locations to take measurements, and the analyser pro soon allows you to get very acceptable prints on the first shot. After that you can decide if it needs tweaking and the analyser helps decide on the tweaks necessary. However, there is still a lare element of judgement. It isn't all totally automatic!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am getting good prints on the first try but, then, I look at that print and think to myself that I can improve this little detail or that one.

I ended up making several prints from the same negative, trying all different sorts of things, mainly because the Analyser gives me the power to do so in a much easier way than I did before.

Yes, it's all about learning where to take your readings and how to interpret them to get a certain result but there is a difference between knowing what you CAN do with the Analyser versus what you SHOULD do.

Before, it would take several test strips and calculations, working things out in my head or on paper, before getting a print. Now, the Analyser does all that for me. What took a long time, before, can now be done instantly.

Having that much power at your fingertips is like buying a new Ferrari. It's hard to resist the urge to take it out on the highway and see what she'll do when you open her up.

It's part of the learning curve, I guess. It's important to know how your equipment works and what it can do but it's more important to know what you want your equipment to do for you so you can achieve the result you had in mind when you took the picture.

Knowing all this teaches me to pre-visualize my photos, both at the time of shooting the picture AND at the time when you decide how to print it.

It's good to have equipment that will help you squeeze all the details that you had in mind out of your photos but it's often too easy to get wrapped up in splitting every hair.
    Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    You guys tipped me over the edge. I place my order this morning.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think I know the answer to this, but anyway...
    Can you use the analyser with kodak or Ilford c-41 black and white negs?
    I am thinking the orange mask of the kodak product defeats it.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have used the analyser with both ILFORD AND kodak c41 films, with the ilford film it is a doddle, with the Kodak film it can be done, but the results are not so good, but I find that printing the Kodak c41 film onto black and white paper, even without the analyser, doesn't really work, it is designed for colour paper only where the ilford film is mean't for b/w paper.
    Richard

Shooter
    Large Format
    Is a doddle a good or bad thing?
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin