Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,992   Posts: 1,524,226   Online: 1130

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    You might be lucky and find that the water in the drum doesn't affect the next print and if contamination only occasionally happens it might be worth the risk against the time saved but I found that coloured streaks( green if I recall) occurred more often than was acceptable without a quick wipe of the inside of the drum.

pentaxuser
    Pre-wash your paper and never get a flawed print from a dripping wet drum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    The pump uses natural oils on felt discs for lubrication and it turns to gum with age. Get the pump out, clean all the gum off the bearings and re-lube it; it'll be fine.
    I turned on the Jobo this afternoon (Sunday) and it is pumping water around the machine without a problem. Which is odd considering the lack of operation on May 31st. Perhaps the pump un-seized due to warmer conditions...

Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    I turned on the Jobo this afternoon (Sunday) and it is pumping water around the machine without a problem. Which is odd considering the lack of operation on May 31st. Perhaps the pump un-seized due to warmer conditions...

Tom
    Algae can sometimes block one of the smaller hoses in the system. As you know the ATL 2300 has only one water distribution unit/pump for the entire machine, which circulates the water through an intricate hose system.
    Its enough that one of those junctions or curves have a partial blockage to lower the pressure on the entire system.

It might also be be that the pump motor has reached the end if its service life, its a very easy replacement. If you see lower pressure, try tapping the motor on the rear of the machine and try flexing and squeezing/pinching the visible or accessible hoses with your fingers and see if they spit out any gunk through the spout at the upper trough. The mesh wire filter should catch most of it before its sucked back to re circulate.

Processor clean can help loosen up the gunk as well.

Let me know if you still need any help.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    It might also be be that the pump motor has reached the end if its service life, its a very easy replacement.
    Seriously, pump motors do not wear out. They're chunks of iron with some copper wire wrapped around it; there should be nothing to wear out except brushes, and most mains-powered motors do not use brushes. They can be abused into failure via heat, but that's usually the "big bang" kind of failure where the insulation lets go or the heat seizes a bearing.

Bearings can certainly seize or be gummed with lubricant (my CPP2 pump has this issue), pumps themselves definitely wear out at points of contact and/or flex. But not motors. Electric motors are forever unless abused

If your electric motor has stopped, clean & re-lube it, maybe replace a bearing. If it's part of a pump, the actual pumping bit should be your prime suspect.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That might be all true - but in this case the pump and motor are a single cased unit.
    There is no way to gain access to the pump, or motor without breaking the housing...

Sometimes that unit needs to be replaced.
    CatLABS of JP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Fair enough then. Totally different to a CPP pump.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I am using the CPP3 now for film processing, I cannot comment on making prints with a Jobo a I never have done this but know many that do very well.
    I can comment on the CCP3 however as we have just put one into production here.

The CPP3 has a great countdown program for putting chem in and out which I found at first a bit daunting, but once you get use to it quite easy to master. It is easy to program different process times and setups, just takes a bit of time as well to figure the logic of whoever wrote the little manual.
    The unit is very robust in circulation so once turned on the temp can be kept active all day long. I also like the feature of the small filler bottles warming up right next to the main run bottles , with a few tanks one could just print all day long with some pretty good production.
    Those people who wash off processor like us can really speed up the usage of one of these machines.
    I think a priority for print processing would be a very good drying cabinet that can keep up to the printer. Colour correction has to be done dry so being able to get there fast would be IMO important.

When I first started colour printing, fall of 1974 I was assigned a small room to share with one other, It was equipped with a chromega enlarger and a small wet sink that housed a K16 colour processor... any one remember this processor.... it was super cool to say the least for a young student to learn photography with their own kit to make images. Back in those days we had 24/7hours access to the lab and studios ,and I basically lived there for three years.....
    Now I live here with enlargers and processors , not much has changed other than the magic of Photo Shop has opened some big doors...
    So to the OP go for it , get a chromiga , get a Jobo and buy cut sheet and have the time of your life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well..., yesterday I fired up the Jobo and ran a trial process, however once the machine had dumped the third solution the dreaded 'air diffuser faulty' message came up again; attempts to alter tension in the sprung arm that dumps process solutions did not result in a lack of error message unfortunately, whereas previously (2010 as it turns out) I had managed to work the mechanism free and continued processing. I may have another go this afternoon but I'm reluctant to start spending money on replacement parts when something else might stop working soon...

Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Tom,

Thats sad news. See if you can jimmy out and keep us posted. It might be time to trade up to a new machine...
    CatLABS of JP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    Tom,

Thats sad news. See if you can jimmy out and keep us posted. It might be time to trade up to a new machine...
    Sadly I've just come out of the darkroom, having made another attempt to get the machine to work without the 'air diffuser fault' message appearing, along the lines of what had previously been successful based on my earlier message. So I do seem to be on the point of full investigation and possible new parts...

Tom

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin