Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,892   Posts: 1,520,860   Online: 1177

Shooter
    Multi Format

Switching heads on a Beseler 45...

Im going to buy a Beseler 45mx II today that has a dichro 45S head and was wondering if i do buy this can i put my condenser head from my MCRX on it? I know i can print B&W with the dichro 45S but i prefer to use a condenser head.

Thanks..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm pretty sure it will fit.
    I never really understood all the designations in the 45MX line, but from what I've seen the chassis are all the same.

I too prefer the condensor head for B&W, except for very contrasty negs or grainy negs where I wanted to subdue the grain somewhat.
    But for proofing or non-critical B&W work, I always stuck with VC paper and dial-in contrast of the 45S. Easy peasy.

To switch over from one to the other is a snap. Well, 2 snaps and a plug exchange.

Notes on the 45S Dichro head:
    I had a lot of light spill from the bottom and back of the 45S head, and masked those areas off with (black) Ilford bags. The "white light lever" seal is not very light tight, and neither is the fan. Also the filter dials in the front are way too bright, just put a (black matboard) flap over it.

Also I replaced the standard EVW bulb (250 Watt) with an ESJ (85 Watt) to reduce light output for making smaller prints with reasonable apertures and times. When needed, I would switch back to the EVW.

https://www.interlight.biz/light-bulb/ESJ
    https://www.interlight.biz/light-bulb/Evw

Since all those heads are very heavy you'll spend a considerable amount of time to align the whole thing square. There is quite a bit of sag, because of all the weight, and that needs to be compensated.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim17x View Post
    can i put my condenser head from my MCRX on it?
    Yes.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin