Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,486   Online: 1107
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Slosh Trays

  1. #1
    BarryWilkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Somerset UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    693
    Images
    1

    Slosh Trays

    I'm interested in purchasing and using an 8x10 PF Slosh Tray for processing my negs. Has anyone here used one? If so, what keeps the negs in their repective troughs? Anything I should be aware of in their use?

    Thanks

    Barry

  2. #2
    johnnywalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,256
    Images
    78
    See the thread

    "Please recommend a developing tank for 4x5" started by GaussianNoise,

    a few below this one
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

  3. #3
    BarryWilkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Somerset UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    693
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker
    See the thread

    "Please recommend a developing tank for 4x5" started by GaussianNoise,

    a few below this one
    Thanks,

    I'm using a Combi tank for my 5x4's but I would like some info on slosher trays for use with 8x10. I did search APUG and found one reference to these trays but as it does not answer my question, I thought I'd start a new thread.

    Regards

    Barry

  4. #4
    rbarker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,222
    Images
    2
    Although I think there have been a couple of designs (particularly with DIY sloshers), my impression is that most use small pins with a small notch cut in the edge to hold the edge of the film. The big design issue, I think, is to keep the retainer pins small and low enough not to create swirl patterns around the pins as the tray is rocked, with the resulting increased localized development.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

    Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

  5. #5
    BarryWilkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Somerset UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    693
    Images
    1
    Sorry Johnywalker

    I should have said that I read the post by MonoPhoto but I don't have the facilities to make one myself.

    Barry

  6. #6
    Shmoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    972
    Images
    11
    http://www.photoformulary.com/Deskto...ID=78&langID=0

    Check out photographers formulary...8x10 tray

  7. #7
    Jim Moore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    885
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo
    http://www.photoformulary.com/Deskto...ID=78&langID=0

    Check out photographers formulary...8x10 tray
    I ordered this tray a few months ago but have not tried it yet.

    Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

  8. #8
    Monophoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,691
    Images
    44
    Barry -

    Let me make sure I understand your question. Do you want to process 8x10 sheets, or do you want to process four 4x5 sheets in an 8x10 tray?

    If you want to process a single 8x10 sheet, then you don't neet a slosh tray - any 8x10 tray will do.

    I made a slosh tray to process six 4x5 sheets in an 11x14 tray. I've also thought about making a slosher to do four 4x5 sheets in a slightly oversized 8x10 tray - but I don't have the oversized trays. Right now, what I need is to use the stuff in my darkroom, not add more stuff that I don't use very often.

    There are two basic designs for slosh trays. The DIY version I made uses short strips of plastic to separate the sections of the tray. These are long enough to keep the film from migrating between sections, and yet short enough that developing fluids can move freely between sections without creating eddy patterns that result in uneven development. The other design uses nylon bolts to perform the same function. Commercial slosh trays look more like the plastic strip DIY designs, only they tend to be molded from solid plastic.

  9. #9
    BarryWilkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Somerset UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    693
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto
    Barry -

    Let me make sure I understand your question. Do you want to process 8x10 sheets, or do you want to process four 4x5 sheets in an 8x10 tray?

    If you want to process a single 8x10 sheet, then you don't neet a slosh tray - any 8x10 tray will do.

    I made a slosh tray to process six 4x5 sheets in an 11x14 tray. I've also thought about making a slosher to do four 4x5 sheets in a slightly oversized 8x10 tray - but I don't have the oversized trays. Right now, what I need is to use the stuff in my darkroom, not add more stuff that I don't use very often.

    There are two basic designs for slosh trays. The DIY version I made uses short strips of plastic to separate the sections of the tray. These are long enough to keep the film from migrating between sections, and yet short enough that developing fluids can move freely between sections without creating eddy patterns that result in uneven development. The other design uses nylon bolts to perform the same function. Commercial slosh trays look more like the plastic strip DIY designs, only they tend to be molded from solid plastic.

    Thanks for your description of the DIY and commercial trays.

    I want to process four 8x10 negs in a 16x20 tray.

    I have been looking at the Photographers Formulary 8x10 slosh trays. Unfortunately I could not see how the films were kept seperate from each other during agitation in the PF image, which prompted my post. I hoped that someone had used one of these and could provide an answer to this and as to any problems in use. Sorry for not making this clear.

    Thanks also to all who replied.

    Barry

  10. #10
    Jim Moore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    885
    Images
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryWilkinson
    I have been looking at the Photographers Formulary 8x10 slosh trays. Unfortunately I could not see how the films were kept seperate from each other during agitation in the PF image,
    Barry,

    The tray from Photographers Formulary has dividers molded into the plastic.
    The best way to describe it would be 4 8x10 trays molded together.

    Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin