Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,488   Online: 816

Shooter
    Medium Format

Vintage Friedrich Munchen Axinon f4.5 9cm Enlarging Lens.

Yes, I still print my Rolleiflex (RF 111 A) negatives the old-fashioned way (and still enjoy the process). Meanwhile, I recently purchased an old Friedrich Munchen Axinon f4.5 9cm enlarging lens (SN 420876).

After some research, I discovered that Christof Friedrich registered the Axinon name in 1938; so clearly my lens was manufactured after that date. Meanwhile, does anyone have access to a serial number list which will tell me what year my lens was made? Frankly, I believe it performs as well as my Rodenstock Rodagon enlarging lens...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to Apug,

The Axinon is a tessar-type, so, at least in theory, it should be outperformed by the more advanced Rodagon.

Why would you like to know the year of manufacture?
    I guess 50's/60's. The company seems still to exist, thus aside of some informed Apug member or a lens catalogue you still might try to inform there.
    BTW, I did not even know that company...
    Last edited by AgX; 10-27-2012 at 06:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, you might be right about having four lens cells. Meanwhile, I just read another two posts on other forums where it was suggested that the lens performs extremely well; so my eyes can't be that bad! I enjoy using old, well made equipment (like my 1938 Rolleiflex), so establishing when this Axinon enlarging lens was made would have been interesting for me...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Make a decent test-chart photograph and print it both with the Axinon and the Rodagon at different enlargements, different apertures including each time prints of the corners of the negative. I would be surprised if the Rodagon would not come out as the better performing lens.

Of course one could ask what practical use such test would have to ones daily darkroom work. Sure for some topics the outcome would not matter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
    Yes, I still print my Rolleiflex (RF 111 A) negatives the old-fashioned way
    What is the old-fashioned way?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    What is the old-fashioned way?
    I may have a Glenn Miller record playing in the darkroom while printing (he, he, he)...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin