Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,324   Online: 776

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Enlarged Negatives In the Darkroom ??

Hello,
    It seems that all I read today regarding enlarged negatives for alt processes suggests that the computer is the only way to do it. Does anyone still use an enlarger in the darkroom to make enlarged negatives for those processes that require contact size negatives? Did any people here do it the darkroom way at one time and say the heck with that when computers came out?
    Sort of not looking forward to learning so much about computer image curves and rips and QTR etc.

thanks for the help.

Robert N.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are two ways to do this.

Start with a small positive slide and make an enlarged negative.

Start with a small negative, make a slide and then make an enlarged negative.

It is possible to do all of this, but you must control the exposure(s( exactly to get a good result.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One can also enlarge the small negative under the enlarger onto lith film which will produce a film positive and then contact print this film onto another sheet to produce a negative. Many years ago I used to do this.

Now I enlarge to a sheet of x-ray duplicating film. Kodak used to make a terrific duplicating sheet film but it is no longer available. I bought a box of 8x10 x-ray duplicating film on ebay. Photo Warehouse, an APUG sponsor also carries duplication film in various sizes.
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ultrafine online - I bought a direct dupe film, but haven't played with it much yet.

I usually do it with old lithographic film processed in a developer like pota.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkroomDan View Post
    One can also enlarge the small negative under the enlarger onto lith film which will produce a film positive and then contact print this film onto another sheet to produce a negative. Many years ago I used to do this.

Now I enlarge to a sheet of x-ray duplicating film. Kodak used to make a terrific duplicating sheet film but it is no longer available. I bought a box of 8x10 x-ray duplicating film on ebay. Photo Warehouse, an APUG sponsor also carries duplication film in various sizes.
    Dan, is it a direct duplicating film? If you can would you pm me with the name of the film. I'll tell you of one I have in mind. Thanks. I'm in Everett btw.
    Last edited by Curt; 10-29-2012 at 03:48 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Mistake in name.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    One can make a very nice black and white print, and then use a large format camera to take a copy picture of it. This has the advantage that it is very easy to comprehend the steps...

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    A few of my students have been doing this recently to prepared for a VanDyke Brown workshop we had this past weekend.

They used a product from the Photowarehouse. Exposed the "film" to the size they wished, developed in the normal manner for paper.

The exposures were long, sometimes up to 30 minutes, but it worked and the results from the workshop are very nice.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    A few of my students have been doing this recently to prepared for a VanDyke Brown workshop we had this past weekend.

They used a product from the Photowarehouse. Exposed the "film" to the size they wished, developed in the normal manner for paper.

The exposures were long, sometimes up to 30 minutes, but it worked and the results from the workshop are very nice.
    Ann, that's very encouraging, I have a few negatives of old that I would like to print in carbon.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    http://www.mrfoto1.com/bargains/inde...mart&Itemid=26

I use the discontinued Kodak 2422 aerographic direct duplicating film. It works well once you figure out how to use it and process it. It comes in 9.5 inch or 5 inch rolls. I have seen the rolls in a variety of lengths, mine are 500 feet long. I have a life time supply in sub 0 deep freeze.
    I first bought it from mrfoto. Then when I went to buy more his web site was not working and I finally gave up and did a WTB in a few places and found some. You need to find the film that has been frozen in storage. It goes bad in room temp and it was discontinued quite awhile ago. When it goes bad it loses it's dmax.
    The 2422 direct duplicating film is one step. Negative to negative on an enlarger with red safe lights.
    Dennis

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    In principle it's easy. I've done it plenty of times for black and white as well as color output. Best if
    you make a vaccum filmholer or easel that holds your copy film truly flat; and all your other setting
    should be properly leveled. If you have the habit of working clean and precise it's pretty straightforward. Your interpositive should be slightly lower contrast and full scale, so all the detail
    will be on the straight line of the film curve. Just requires a litte practice. FP4 or either TMax works well for this. Then you just print it. Also helps to have a glass neg carrier and good quality enlgr
    lens that is corrected for reasonably close range, that is, for the degree of magnification you anticipate. What film you choose for output can be the same as noted above, unless you need
    something esp big.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin