Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,914   Online: 987

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Durst 138s: I have a chance to get one.

Okay, story. Because, seriously, this crap never happens to me.

I decided to try a camera store today to see if they had any 4x5 enlargers. I'm looking for used, obviously, because I can't afford anything new. Porters, in Cedar Falls, Iowa, is the one I called. It's an outlet. So I talk to a guy and he goes to ask about enlargers. When he comes back on, he says, I shit you not, "There's a customer here who may have something for you."

When he said Durst, I about giggled with glee. When he said 138s, I said a little prayer to the deities of black and white photography. When he said it came with a 210mm lens, it finally dawned on me that this wasn't just a 4x5 enlarger. When he said 5x7, I finally about lost it. I got him off the phone and actually got so excited I started crying. Heh.

So...uh...anything I should know? Other than to say YES YES YES to about any price he throws at me under $500? I'll beg or borrow to have this thing. I don't know what all he has, but I do know that he has the 210 Nikkor, a 135 or 150 Nikkor, and a Schneider for medium format.

Holy crap. No, really. HOLY CRAP.

I'm going to need to make *much* more room in the basement...
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Go for it - I have four and they are great enlargers!! (If the light isn't broken, but There are people who have made alternative lights - and I think there's a thread about this on this board..)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    Go for it - I have four and they are great enlargers!! (If the light isn't broken, but There are people who have made alternative lights - and I think there's a thread about this on this board..)
    I did find that thread after I posted and I'm about to read it. He says it still works, so I shouldn't have to worry for a while, anyway.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Most of the 138s were floor standing, but other than that aren't particularly bulky or tall. The biggest issue can be getting the condensors if it has a conventional head. If it has all the accessories that you need and you have the floorspace in your darkroom (basically a space the size of the baseboard) than it is a fantastic enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ewins View Post
    Most of the 138s were floor standing, but other than that aren't particularly bulky or tall. The biggest issue can be getting the condensors if it has a conventional head. If it has all the accessories that you need and you have the floorspace in your darkroom (basically a space the size of the baseboard) than it is a fantastic enlarger.
    He has everything. It comes with all condensers, the negative carrier that does all the formats, extra lamp bulbs, 210 Nikkor and 135 Schneider, he says he'll throw in a 240mm Tele-Xenar that he doesn't use, and his wife knits. Heh.

Basically, this is fate. I just have to figure out a way to make it happen.

The only catch: he wants $1000. I can't give him that. I have to figure out a way to get him down in price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh, and by the way, he says that it won't be going anywhere, so I can take all the time I need. Heh. I think I may be able to get him down to $500, which is the most I could get together on short notice for something like this.

Holy crap, guys. I'm going to do this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go for it!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    How exciting!! Years and years of darkroom fun await...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Stephanie, If everything is in excellent shape I would try to scape up more than $500 for than enlarger. I paid $500 for my 138S, which included shipping. But I paid at least that to get an excellent set of condensers and a negative carrier. The 180mm Conponon S was another $200. It's still quite a good deal at a $1000 (again assuming excellent condition for all parts). Add in that you don't need freight shipping and I would jump on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    Stephanie, If everything is in excellent shape I would try to scape up more than $500 for than enlarger. I paid $500 for my 138S, which included shipping. But I paid at least that to get an excellent set of condensers and a negative carrier. The 180mm Conponon S was another $200. It's still quite a good deal at a $1000 (again assuming excellent condition for all parts). Add in that you don't need freight shipping and I would jump on it.
    It's a two owner machine. I'd be the third. Functionally it's amazing. The biggest concern is going to be finding the funds for it.

He says there's no hurry, so I can actually get the money together gradually. If that's the case, I'll be able to do it in a few months if I get the yarn production into high gear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin