Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,093   Online: 1015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Sink Pumps for adding water to my darkroom

My basement darkroom is terrific except for the fact that my basement has no running water. Or more accurately, no way to drain water. I would like to add a sink and am looking for the best (relatively inexpensive) way to do that.

I'm thinking something like this Sink Pump would work...

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/flotec-...0s1800lts.html

Price is good, but reviews all seem to mention noise. Anyone here tried this and have a better suggestion?

Thanks!
    ----
    Jack Baty
    Director of Unspecified Services
    http://jackbaty.com | Flickr
    @jackbaty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might want to move up in size and power for less noise. It will be a few bucks more, but a lot of the whole-house pumps are built for quiet operation. If you do so you will want to get the 20-some gallon basin, so it doesn't run so often. Are you planning to use running water for temp control? If so that little 1/4 horse motor could burn out a lot sooner than a 1/2-3/4.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Do a search in the forums for "sump pump". Among other threads, you'll find this:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/5...pump-pics.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, that's probably the best idea. Just trying to get a feel for what I need, so thanks.

I won't use running water for temp control, and rarely print on fiber paper so I don't expect long rinse times either. Mainly just want to avoid carrying trays of chemicals up and down the stairs every time I want to print.
    ----
    Jack Baty
    @jackbaty

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got a similar system sunk in much greater concrete bassin benearth the floor, covered with a thick steel plate. I would not run it open. For other reason too... But the system you refer to is totally enclosed. Furthermore in case it still would be too loud, what I don't expect, you could make a second, nicer casing from OBS or such, even will it with insulator material.

There still maybe the sound of the water in the upper draining pipe, so do not expect absolute silence.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I missed that thread, thanks David! Never really considered that a plain old sump pump would be an option.
    ----
    Jack Baty
    @jackbaty

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They are called Saniflo in the UK. Do you have anything similar?

http://www.saniflo.co.uk/

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You don't have to have running water in your darkroom. As for washing, you can hold your prints in water until you wash them elsewhere. Just an idea.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ordinary sump pumps do poorly in a darkroom environment because the chemicals (including stop bath) tend to be corrosive and rust them out. You might end up replacing pumps too frequently. You can make a good sump out of a heavy-duty 40-gal garbage container and lid. The sump pump itself should have corrosion-resistant impeller and housing. Grainger has a nice 1/3HP model with an ABS housing around $175 with integral float which should last a decade or so at least. By contrast, the typical hardware store or home center pump will probably fail in a couple of years - not exactly a bargain at that rate.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many sump pumps I know have polyamide casings/propellers and stainless steel shafts. Which did not prevent though (sump-pump behind washing maschine) the double O-ring bearing of the level-lever to fail and the motor to be drowned...

Foreseing a failure, and to enable a quick replacement, I installed a waterproof cable connector by a renown manufacturer into the mains lead in the sump bassin. Due to the constant wetness the polyamide parts, threaded casing and nut, seemingly swelled. Trying to untwist the nut finally spoiled the the whole connector.
    I got mad on this.

Now I would use silicone grease on the thread. But... can one think of everything ahead??
    Last edited by AgX; 11-03-2012 at 02:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin