Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,608   Online: 815

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Do i need to use filters with a B&W enlarger?

Hi there, i just picked up a Meopta Axomatic 5 Standard for next to nothing and it all looks fine, except it has no filter drawer (its not missing, just doesn't seem to feature one). This is my first foray into doing my own prints outside of a few hours in a darkroom for a course i did. In that we always used filters. Can i use multigrade paper without filters, or will i need some graded paper?

I see Ilford sell under lens filters but do these actually "fit" the lenses or do you need to hold them under the lens yourself while the lamp is?

Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can use multigrade papers with filters in a filter holder that attaches below the lens, when an enlarger does not have a filter drawer between the light source and the negative. You simply use more care with below-lens filters, so that you don't degrade IQ unnecessarily.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Until you get some filters, you can also use the MG paper without filter. It will have grad 2 or 3 then, depending on the manufacturer. Or you can use graded paper as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just my curiosity but there's no filter drawer, nor a dichroic colour head? Strange that the enlarger isn't equipped for one or the other. Of course you may not want to use the built-in Y&M filters.

Anyway as has been said the under the lens system can be fitted via the lens

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The filter sets by Kodak, and Ilford, have under the lens holders. They're made up of 3 screws (with rubber tips) which you secure to the lens. Very functional, and they can be had cheaply, on the used market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Just my curiosity but there's no filter drawer, nor a dichroic colour head? Strange that the enlarger isn't equipped for one or the other. Of course you may not want to use the built-in Y&M filters.

Anyway as has been said the under the lens system can be fitted via the lens

pentaxuser

Hi, yes it's just a condenser enlarger with an opal lamp. Thanks for the tips, i'll keep an eye out for some Ilford under lens filters on the 2nd hand market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where are you located? Maybe there's a member nearby with an extra set.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am pretty sure I have a set or four in storage in the garage. Regrettably, they aren't nice and flat and consequently don't mail at letter rate, but parcel rate from Canada.

PM me your address, and I will get back to you with the postal cost that I would expect to recover.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Do i need to use filters with a B&W enlarger?

Quote Originally Posted by desertratt View Post
    I seem to recall from my wet darkroom days that the first light that hits the VC paper will "set" the contrast grade so you can hold the filter between the film and the paper for just a second and then let the unflitered light do its work.
    No, it won't. You'll end up with a short grade whatever exposure combined with a gr 2 exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Idonex View Post
    Hi there, i just picked up a Meopta Axomatic 5 Standard for next to nothing and it all looks fine, except it has no filter drawer (its not missing, just doesn't seem to feature one). This is my first foray into doing my own prints outside of a few hours in a darkroom for a course i did. In that we always used filters. Can i use multigrade paper without filters, or will i need some graded paper?

I see Ilford sell under lens filters but do these actually "fit" the lenses or do you need to hold them under the lens yourself while the lamp is?

Thanks

If you use no filter at all with multi-grade papers, you get much shorter exposure time and equivalent of grade 2 contrast, which is considered "normal" contrast. I do most of my printing with grade 2 to 2.5.

The Ilford under-the-lens kit comes with a bracket. You have an option of using 3 bolts that comes with it to clamp onto the barrel of the lens OR use a thin metal frame with 3 prongs that goes between the lens and the lens board and hang the bracket under the lens. Basically, Ilford gives you two option to mount the bracket to hold the filter under the lens.

I used some metal bracket purchased from home improvement center to mount this bracket little more permanently. Once you get a set, you can figure out how it best goes onto your enlarger.

I'd say start printing with out the filter but order a kit so you'll have more options.

Enjoy your new enlarger!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin