Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,579   Online: 1065

Shooter
    Multi Format

Jobo 2502 Reel Better Than 1501 Reel?

Someone mentioned the advantages of 2502 vs 1501 reel before, but I can't find it. Can someone tell me again?
    I believe all can be used in all Jobo processors, small or large.
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

Shooter
    35mm
    Somebody says the 25xx series, having a larger diameter, allows for a more uniform development of film. That's because in a tank the inner coils have a different agitation pattern than outer coils. That's, IIRC, the argument.
    I understand the theory but in practice I use only 15xx and cannot detect any problem in uniformity of development.
    15xx series also uses a lower volume of chemicals.

If you are beginning now buying your tanks starting with 25xx might be a good idea if you lean toward the perfectionist. Perfectionism sometimes is not about actual results but "peace of mind" that you are adopting the best techniques and not "leaving on the table" the last bit of quality.

If you already have 15xx tanks replacing them with 25xx doesn't make a lot of sense on real practical ground IMO.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I see. It makes sense that more chemical goes in between the layers. But it does not make sens in some other ways. The 25xx tanks are larger. The the outer edge of the reels rotate at a faster speed than the inner layers. So the outer layers of film receives faster flow rate of chemicals than the section in the middle. The difference can be large if you load long film, such as 2 rolls of 120. In essence, you get different agitation rates.

Since the film tanks should be rotated at a lower rate, it should not be a concern on the chemical getting in between the layers. I'm more concerned with the different agitation rate.

I already have the 1501 reels, so I do not think I'm going to upgrade to 2502 until I hear something different.
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
    ...The the outer edge of the reels rotate at a faster speed than the inner layers.
    Wouldn't that tear the reel apart?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use the 15xx series for 120 film without any problems whatsoever, and the larger 25xx for 4x5 only.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by djhopscotch View Post
    Perhaps, if you used a centrifuge to spin the water off after a run.

In terms of development:
    I spoke with a Jobo representative back in the late 1990s when I was purchasing my Jobo and there was no claimed benefit of the bigger reels in terms of evenness of development at the edges of 120 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I remember the comment. It was said that if you load a long film (220 or 135-36) into the 1501 reel, then the film goes further inside the reel. Since the tank/reel rotates, you can't put in too much chemical, or you run the danger that the excess chemical can be leaked out of the tank. The 2502 may have a capacity for a longer film. So the film may not go that far inside, so less danger of chemical leak.

I do not have a 2502 to compare, so this is why I asked in the first place.
    A photo amateur

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by djhopscotch View Post
    No that's what happens in every wheel. At the amusement park you'll be able to experience it by yourself.
    It's the angular speed which is the same.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can load a 2502 reel a bit easier because the radius is larger. Especially when putting 2 120 roll films on one reel. Apart from that the 25xx system is designed for rotary development while the 15xx system normally is used for inverse processing. For the 15xx system in rotary you will have often a problem for the minimum amount of concentrate for each film in the small tank volume. Further the 25xx system you can use for 9x12cm or 4x5" sheet films.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, that was the comment on the amount of chemicals used per sq inch. I'm not sure if that makes any difference. The smaller reels are used in many systems, including the hand processing tanks.
    A photo amateur

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin