Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,655   Online: 1095

Thread: "vintage"

Shooter
    Multi Format

"vintage"

I was given a box full of darkroom accessories today (it came out of a loft and was wrapped in newspaper dated 1981) ... amongst it all was this, mounted in a tinplate "Nebro" brand lamp housing.

I'm presuming as an item it is of interest only to collectors of memorabilia, rather than of any practical use? Or would it still function as a usable safelight? (I know, I can do a safelight test)

vintage by _loupe, on Flickr

Shooter
    35mm
    It should be OK but at a reasonable non direct distance. It may not be good with Mulitgrade though

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A new wratten filter that size would be expensive. Test it and see.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    that is an ob filter--- which is a blank spot in the kodak filter book-- between oa and oc --- you may want to try it out first as it may not be good with modern VC papers --- there are a couple threads on here about them.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Standard safelight advice again...

Turn it on and inspect the output by reflecting it off of a common CD or DVD disc. This will act as a poor man's prism. Look for any unsafe wavelengths, such as blues or greens (if this filter was intended for b&w printing).

If it looks OK with this preliminary test, then go to the trouble of performing a pre-flashed paper fog test.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Funnily enough Ken, I now keep an old CD in the bathroom (which gets to double as a darkroom) as a result of reading your suggestion in another thread.

ah yes have found the OB threads, not apparently recommended for VC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe someone could use it if they do screen printing emulsion coatings? The screen coating room at my university had huge windows with a special yellow film over them that filtered out the dangerous UV light that would expose the emulsions before they dried.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    Funnily enough Ken, I now keep an old CD in the bathroom (which gets to double as a darkroom) as a result of reading your suggestion in another thread.
    Happy to hear somebody is really using that.

And sorry for sounding like a broken record for repeating it, but every day there are new members signing up and I'm not the type to simply tell people to go search all 1.26 million earlier posts when all it takes is a moment of my time to save a whole lot of trouble for them.

Many moons ago my college job was at Disneyland. No matter what the language or culture, all one had to do was look down at the child doing The Dance to know what the parent's frantic question was. Not once did I ever tell them to look it up in the map they had been given at the Main Gate. No, in acute cases with language barriers I would just stop what I was doing and walk them there myself. Quicker, easier, and a better outcome for all concerned.

And so it is also at APUG...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    just for completeness ... the "CD test" revealed distinct green spectra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    just for completeness ... the "CD test" revealed distinct green spectra
    Not surprising I suppose, given the seemingly yellowish-green visual appearance of the filter in your photo. At least on my uncalibrated monitor.

Ken

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin