Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,193   Online: 847

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gah! I should have thought of using the nightvision mode on my Sony F717 to help me get reels loaded. That's brilliant!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well I developed 4 8x10 negs last night using my Nightvision monocular. Not a fancy setup like Sean's, just developed in an 8x10 tray.

Although I'm still learning what to look for and when to pull the negative, I'm very pleased with the results.

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argus
    there would still be light coming from the video display. How would you solve that?
    When Jeremy was over here using his night vision setup to do DBI, I got the impression that (if his was typical, which I think it is) any night vision goggles use a video display inside the eyepiece/viewfinder. I would think it would just be a matter of not starting it up until your eye was pressed firmly against the eyepiece, and not taking it away from your eye until it's powered down.

Also, it would probably be good to go into setup on your camcorder and disable the red "activity" light on top of the camera.

Obviously, if you're using panchromatic film and your camcorder doesn't have an eyepiece type viewfinder but just a small open flat screen instead, your camera might not work so well for DBI.

-KwM-

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    When Jeremy was over here using his night vision setup to do DBI, I got the impression that (if his was typical, which I think it is) any night vision goggles use a video display inside the eyepiece/viewfinder. I would think it would just be a matter of not starting it up until your eye was pressed firmly against the eyepiece, and not taking it away from your eye until it's powered down.
    A darkcloth could do wonders here
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argentic
    A darkcloth could do wonders here
    I think the main difficulty with using a camcorder would be that at best, it would require one hand for operation, if not two. With night vision goggles, you can inspect while having both hands free for managing your film.

Of course, since inspection isn't exposing your film to anything that would increase base exposure, there's no reason you can't flip it on, inspect, flip it off, rotate to the next sheet in the stack, then flip it on and flip it off again... uh.. the camcorder.

-KwM-

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The reason to use a camcorder is that many people already have one. Nightvision goggles are expensive equipment.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by argentic
    The reason to use a camcorder is that many people already have one. Nightvision goggles are expensive equipment.
    Mine were under $250. In my opinion and for my circumstances, this is a very small price to pay for near perfect development.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I very briefly used Jeremy's night vision setup, I found it a little bit disorienting, since you can see like it'd daylight, but just in comparitively small angle of view compared to not having the goggles on. To my own ADD-ish mind, the added thing to think about & manage wasn't really worth it to me. I seem to be learning DBI just fine using a green safelight and footswitch.

That being said, one situation I can think of where night vision equipment (can I just call this "IR" or are there other techs sometimes employed?) would be a boon would be when you're using non-Pyro developers. Pyro tends to desensitize the emulsion to further exposure as development progresses, so there's less risk of fogging with a green safelight. AFAIK, with other developers, this isn't the case, so green safelight DBI poses a slightly larger fog risk.

I'm about to try doing DBI with Ansco/PF 130. I guess I'll find out first hand. Another thing I want to try is Diafine, but I don't anticipate doing DBI there, since I understand it develops up to a given point and stops, so DBI doesn't apply.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb_z5
    My god this place is brimming with great ideas! Other uses also... Loading/unloading filmholders(except IR film I suppose). Thanks Sean for the tip and a great site

Mike
    Yup, don't do it with IR film.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has anyone ever had any problems with the little red light inside the infrared illuminator on the Viper night scopes?
    RL Foley

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin