Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,799   Online: 810

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverpixels5
    Has anyone ever had any problems with the little red light inside the infrared illuminator on the Viper night scopes?
    Nope, I haven't fogged any film with the little red light and I can't get a reading on my Minolta IV meter at 8000iso at 30 minutes so I figure it's good.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    *Update*

Today was my 2nd attempt at 8x10 sheet dev by nightvision infrared inspection. I blew it the first time due to a mixup with my dev dilution and some other kinks with the inspection setup. Today was a total success though! It went extremely smooth and I dev'd a sheet of 8x10 that came out perfect. At first it was hard to spot the nuances of the development process. The image shows up rather quickly and you start to panic that maybe the highlights are going to blow out. I decided to pay more attention to the shadows and in the last minute of my dev I saw the shadow detail come to life, it was pretty magical. When I knew I had good shadow detail I saw that the highlights appeared the right level and into the stop it went. The film was exposed to infrared light during film holder loading, and every step of the dev process and there is no fog whatsoever. I'm very pleased and think this method is really going to start paying off now. The only problem with the neg was the photographer, I somehow thought everything was in focus, but after the dev I could see the mid-left of the image is slightly out of focus. I guess this can be expected since it's only the 2nd time I've shot the 8x10, so I am staying positive on the fact that I did shoot the 8x10, and dev'd a very nice neg. I may be able to burn in the out of focus area and get away with a print, will try that tomorrow. I also felt much more comfortable shooting the 8x10 the other day. Exciting times

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Congratulations, Sean. It must be rewarding to get fruitful results from such a novel technique.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean

Thanks for keeping us updated. This is something I would love to try, especially with a 8x10 neg.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

update

Well proof of concept went very well. So far I have dev'd 3 negs by IR inspection and found it a valuable tool. My next step was to improve on the process. I took apart my IR goggle's lens assembly and was shocked to find a few of the lenses covered with a layer of muck, so I cleaned them. I also found that by unscrewing one of the parts about 3 turns allowed me to focus even closer and clarity was improved. I have built a custom hood that fits over my goggle (some may have seen that in another thread I posted).
    The largest improvement is an upgrade to my Infrared Light Table.

This is my first version of the IR light table:

And this is my new version just put together today. It contains a 140led IR 840nm light block (typically used for security cameras in large commercial areas). Total cost of the new box was about $80 US:

Inside:

I flipped on the new box a few minutes ago and boy is it bright! I can now see extremely clearly and the extra brightness has added another level of sharpness for the goggle. I believe I'll now be able to see the entire tonal scale of the negative as is develops. With the smaller light source there was some guess work involved in the dense areas. I'm looking forward to souping a few 8x10 negs tonight with the improvements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I took apart my IR goggle's lens assembly and was shocked to find a few of the lenses covered with a layer of muck, so I cleaned them. I also found that by unscrewing one of the parts about 3 turns allowed me to focus even closer and clarity was improved. I have built a custom hood that fits over my goggle (some may have seen that in another thread I posted).
    Can you give some more details, Sean. Specifically which of the parts you fiddled with to allow closer focussing? Also, if you keep the cap on you dim the light, but it acts as an aperture and GREATLY increases the depth of field.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would merely like such a device for loading sheet film and developing reels and tanks. Is there an economical setup for that? (One of my hands was partially mutilated in an accident recently and I have no feeling left so that working by feel is just impossible now.)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    All this talk of night vision goggles reminds me of *Silence of the Lambs*

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Can you give some more details, Sean. Specifically which of the parts you fiddled with to allow closer focussing? Also, if you keep the cap on you dim the light, but it acts as an aperture and GREATLY increases the depth of field.
    Hi Jeremy, I think you have the same goggle as me. The first lens element screws in and out to focus, there is also one directly behind that and if you get a good grip on it can unscrew it (yours may need to be cleaned too), it's that second element that I unscrewed maybe 2-3 times to get a closer view, I also adjusted the eye piece. I find with that goggle good lighting is key and although leaving the cap on increased the depth of field it was no dim. But, with the cap off and the new 140led light table everything was very sharp. I wasn't able to dev any sheets last night but will try again today if I have some time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    I would merely like such a device for loading sheet film and developing reels and tanks. Is there an economical setup for that? (One of my hands was partially mutilated in an accident recently and I have no feeling left so that working by feel is just impossible now.)
    I have a Gen1 monocular that came with headgear. Using it to load sheet film is a huge help since I might as well be loading them in broad daylight. If money were no object I'd get a Gen2 or Gen3 goggle, but the Gen1's are good enough. Mine is made by a company called ATN and I got it new off of ebay. I have never had any fogging whatsoever, but I was concerned about the green light leaking from the eye piece so I fashioned a hood out of an old changing bag (one sleeve of the changing bag fits around the scope tightly). You'll find loading films a breeze. I recommend using an external IR lightsource though, and as long as it's over 850nm should be fine..

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin