Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,913   Posts: 1,584,698   Online: 676

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Sheet Film Development By Inspection With Night Vision Technology

I have completed building my kit to develop 8x10 sheet film using night vision technology.

Parts:
    1 - Viper Nightvision monocular or similar (ebay $240 US when I got mine)
    2 - 1 LED Infrared lightbank which is out of range of your films spectral sensitivity (ebay $20 or so)
    3 - 12v powersupply for the LED IR light bank ($10)
    4 - Piece of diffusion material (I used part of an old light box)
    5 - A clear glass tray to hold the film and chem
    6 - Cardboard box around 12 inches high (i found it gave more even illumination to have some distance from the IR light array)

[COLOR=Red]*warning* do not look into the Infrared LED light bank with the naked eye, I was told eventhough you can not see any light it can still damage the eye, so be careful*[/COLOR]

The end result...

With the Infrared Light table and monocular, you have the ability to view your negative on a lightbox as it develops, and without fogging the film. My first test was just using a pre-dev'd neg to prove the concept, and the lightbox was bright, and I could see all detail on the neg clearly. I'll be having a real session with the setup the first week of january and will post back. I have attached a few pics..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IRsetup.jpg   IRbox.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Very interesting Sean, you have a nifty little set up there....

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    There`s an interesting thread on the AZO Forum about this very IR DBI procedure. You may want to check it out. A lot of people use the head set monocular or binocular systems. I may well go for either or as my DBI with green safelight is yielding mixed results. IR certainly works well for many people. Good luck with your intersting set up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the heads up. I posted there to stay in the loop, and supplied a link to my method..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What a great idea. You'll work in complete darkness adn yet be able to see perfectly fine. Let us know how it works?.. it sounds like a worth while investment in night vision gear.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My god this place is brimming with great ideas! Other uses also... Loading/unloading filmholders(except IR film I suppose). Thanks Sean for the tip and a great site

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    yeah since I have never loaded an 8x10 holder it could prove VERY useful next week

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    [QUOTE=Sean]I have completed building my kit to develop 8x10 sheet film using night vision technology.

Parts:
    1 - Viper Nightvision monocular or similar (ebay $240 US when I got mine)
    [QUOTE]

Many modern videocameras have a "night" position which is actually an infrared sensor. Could this be used too? Many people already posess a videocamera.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by argentic
    Many modern videocameras have a "night" position which is actually an infrared sensor. Could this be used too? Many people already posess a videocamera.
    there would still be light coming from the video display. How would you solve that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    yeah since I have never loaded an 8x10 holder it could prove VERY useful next week
    Sean, I developed another 6 negs last night with mine and it was great. I then loaded 34 sheets of film and the NV made it SO easy and stopped me from making a mistake or two also.

I'm doing mine with the built-in IR emitter and had no troubles at all.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin