Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,882   Posts: 1,520,515   Online: 810

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Max load of Paterson Orbital?

Hi all, I've been making some pt/pd prints lately and am getting bored of rocking the trays for half an hour to clear prints properly. Was thinking of trying out the Paterson Orbital as a motor base. I understand they are designed for 8x10" film and 400ml of dev the most. Would the motor base cope with a 12x16" tray filled with a liter of citric acid/sulfite and edta. is this modification possible or would it be overkill for the thing?

Cheers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I expect the motor base would cope but I don't know if you would ne that much. For developing ordinary film, most people use about 100ml - and that is a lot more than is actually needed.

They were actually designed for 8x10 colour paper but do very well with 8x10 and 5x4 film.

EDIT: I see what you mean now. You want to modify it to take a normal tray. I think it would be o.k. if you could keep the centre of gravity as low as possible.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't know about the Paterson, but this was my solution.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJB6QMmmTe9

Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    I should have said that the clip was posted in APUG under the title Motorised Dish Rockers on 16 Feb 2011, where you will find commentary. Not sure how to link to that.
    Richard

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The motor inside the Paterson base is a tiny little syncro motor with gearbox rated 3W at 5-600RPM. Mine sometimes struggles with the standard tray with 300ml of chemistry. Would it cope with a 12x16 tray - I doubt it very much and even if the motor did have enough grunt, I'd expect chemicals sloshing out of the tray onto the work surface.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Mine sometimes struggles with the standard tray with 300ml of chemistry.
    I'm sure it does. It's only supposed to take 55ml!

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I'm sure it does. It's only supposed to take 55ml!
    According to http://www.rogerandfrances.com/photo...20orbital.html 55ml is a minimum. I normally use somewhere around 90-120ml, depending on the developer dilution I'm using (to keep the mental arithmetic easier). Is there a manual somewhere online? I haven't found one yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guess I'll rethink this idea then! Your way seems to work well Richard.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin