Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,982   Online: 740

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I tried to visualize what you have to work with and think you might wall in the furnace and water heater if it's legal and safe. Forget the door to your office.

Give them an upside-down "L" shaped room of their own. Sort of like an upside-down Idaho with a vented door at the Canadian border. Solves all your ventilation issues.

This leaves your darkroom as a right-side up "L" with a large 5 x 9 main work area plus a vestibule.

My first thought was to have the sink against back wall and the door to the left of the sink. That way you can open the door soon as the white lights are on... and it would be convenient to walk out to the laundry tub and wash your trays and tanks there.

If you did that, the vestibule should be a comfortable fit for the enlarger and a dry side shelf. The 9 foot walkway along the sink could be left open or you could put a narrow chemical storage shelf / bookshelf behind where you walk.
    Here is a few photos Bill of my very early planning ideas. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0016.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	442.0 KB 
ID:	60006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0013.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	443.8 KB 
ID:	60007
    The line of tape under the shop vac will be my exterior wall. Next line is the out line to my dry counter. The line by the black shelve is my sink. I was also kicking around putting the sink on the new wall and moving my dry to the sink. making my dry a L shaped dry counter lead to the sink. The reason I have my door off the office is for space really as we have plans for the new wall to have shelves on them for my wife stuff. As she is losing a chunk of storage area in her laundry room. So one idea is to have the dry counter run from the counter were the paint can are to the enlarger on the floor. then across my new wall would be sink. leaving me some space beside the sink for storage and shelves. Also I have plans of converting the office/computer room into an extended work area for my. some where to mat and dry mount and maybe put my print dryers. I hope this explains my ideas and vision and I will look at your suggestions as well.

Learning about this stuff is so cool I always wanted my own darkroom and to think I am going to have one very soon excites me! As I was able to pick up 2 enlargers and ALL my supplies for FREE!! from someone who was going to take it all to the dump as he thought no one would be interested in doing your own printing.

Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Sal, if he was in a climate like yours, he likely wouldn't have a basement...
    Around here the lack of basements means our tank-type water heaters are typically found in the garage. They're placed on platforms at least 18 inches high so any pooled gasoline fumes won't be ignited. Large wire-screened vents to outside are required near the garage floor and approximately 8 feet high. Not that I'd be too concerned about adequate combustion air anyway, given the huge gaps around those ill-fitting one-piece garage doors that are typically installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    ...Nothing wrong with scorched air heating, it's usually more efficient than a boiler, and much lower in capital cost.
    Nothing wrong with it if one is enamored of spreading dust everywhere and experiencing the thrill of wind chill indoors during winter.

Space heating with a furnasty is not inherently more efficient than using a hydronic system to accomplish the same thing. There is a complete range of efficiencies available from either appliance type. Since forced air has more than 90% of the US market, minimum efficiency regulations for furnaces are a few years ahead of those for boilers, but that's changing. Standing pilots will soon be gone and outdoor reset required. The only reason one finds 80% efficient boilers being installed today is that they are cheaper and still available. Modulating, condensing boilers with 97% efficiency can be purchased from a large number of manufacturers and are regularly installed for homeowners who understand their benefits.

While speculative home builders will always select space heating systems with the lowest up front cost, i.e. furnaces, anyone who takes a long-term view and values comfort opts for forced hot water instead. One can configure a number of different distribution systems with varying degrees of comfort, but even the least expensive of them (baseboard convectors) is much more comfortable to live with than forced air. Continuous circulation and proper sizing permit lower water temperatures that mean steady, even heat delivery. The most expensive emitter would be in-floor radiant; that approach delivers such comfort that occupants are regularly happy with thermostat settings a number of degrees lower than they'd otherwise require. Even smaller fuel bills is the result.

Unless the housing market returns to its bubble days of frequent "flips," I suspect more homes will be in the hands of individual owners for extended periods of time. Hopefully, that will encourage long-term thinking and a resurgence of hydronic heating systems. There's certainly no question that, when a house is constructed on the New Hampshire land I purchased earlier this year for retirement, it will be heated by hot water.

Now, what was the topic of this thread again?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin