Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,191   Online: 858
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,231
    Images
    9
    Where can someone get a 2830 fro less than 50?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

    So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

  2. #12
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,951
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    They just don't know where the information is available.

    I understand there's a site called apug or something that may have that information.
    Link to that APUG site here : http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/6...negatives.html

  3. #13
    LJH
    LJH is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    510
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
    Jobo is strongly against using print drums (28xx) for sheet film. There are ridges to anchor the films, but the ridges (rails) inhibit the flow of chemicals to remove the antihalation layer during processing.
    I use 28xx drums for 7x17 processing with no issue.

    In fact, the idea that the ridges inhibit chemical flow seems farsical to me as the film does not sit hard up against the barrel wall (it only touches in the very middle of the sheet, and only very lightly then), allowing chemicals to get in behind.

    In addition, as I always run a double pre-wash (3 minutes/empty/2 minutes), the AH layer is generally gone before the developer touches a sheet. What's left will be removed during the following stages (however, there has NEVER been any AH colour staining of the Developer/Stop/Fixer, leading me to assume that the whole of the AH layer is removed during the prewashes).

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    247
    That is the same discussion.

    I always follow manufacturer's recommendation. I believe they know better than everyone else. Sure you can take a chance, but I do not.

    Same with the discussions on having safelight in color printing, tray color processing and not wearing gloves with color chemicals. You may be able to get away with it most of the time. But they are not recommended.

    But glad to know that people having success with using 28xx drums with 8x10 films. I have several of them. If this is the case, then the 3062 and 3063 should be good too.

    But I do not see any problem if you only process one single sheet of 8x10 with 25xx tanks. There are no rails and no overlapping.
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

  5. #15

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,150
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
    I always follow manufacturer's recommendation. I believe they know better than everyone else. Sure you can take a chance, but I do not.
    From reading your threads, where you post questions, then answer them yourself, later noting all who said anything else then you as being totally wrong, it seems that in fact - you everything better then everyone else .

    All 2500 and 2800 tanks and modules have ridges, except for as noted in this thread - the multitank 5 which is smooth inside.
    I have not yet seen a publication by Jobo recommending against using film in print drums.

    Quote Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
    But I do not see any problem if you only process one single sheet of 8x10 with 25xx tanks. There are no rails and no overlapping.
    Alas - its good to have RedSun's OK in the matter, it must mean that after all the info provided by everyone in this thread is correct
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

    www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

  6. #16
    LJH
    LJH is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    510
    Quote Originally Posted by krifartida View Post
    I have not yet seen a publication by Jobo recommending against using film in print drums.
    I found this where the caution is written (lower part of the page).

    What I haven't found is anyone actually stating that they've had a problem with 2800 series/ sheet film. I have, however, found myriad different comments about successfully using them.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MA, USA
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,150
    Images
    19
    Stand corrected, though as you say - it works just fine in spite of the warning , so all is still well.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

    www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    247
    Oh well, I do not know why people do not want to hear what they do not like to hear

    If you are a pro and shoot several hundreds of 8x10 sheet films every year, why do you want to take the risk of doing something the manufacturer does not want you to do? You do not want to find out in a hard way that, in 5 years or 10 years from now, that some of your films are ruined because of your processing.

    I remember the discussion on skipping film stabilizer with C-41. Again, why taking the risk?
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

  9. #19
    LJH
    LJH is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    510
    I use process lenses on my camera to shoot infinity. Are you saying that I shouldn't? Do we stop shooting X-Ray film for our cameras? Should Caffinol be banned and the beans used for making coffee? Do those who use Surveyors' tripods have to trade in their cameras for Theodolites? No more using black t-shirts as dark cloths? Should I not hike in tennis shoes? Do I need to stop using clothes pegs to hang film?

    Find me some evidence that shows that 2800 series drums ACTUALLY causes issues and I might subscribe to your theory.

  10. #20
    Stephanie Brim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,607
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    21
    Is Jobo continuing the Expert Drums now that they're making the processors again? I've been wondering that. It seems like the website still lists them, but no one has them...
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin