Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,627   Online: 939

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Recommendation for 4x5 and 8x10 drums?

Hi, everyone!

I am hoping someone could recommend a single tank that could process 4x5 and 8x10 film. I do have a Jobo machine but will probably sell it since I intend to do some overseas landscape shooting and want to get used to the non-machine operated tanks (lugging a Jobo with me is not feasible). I currently do B&W in trays, but am moving to colour as well, so I'd like to do both B&W and colour in the same tank (not at the same time!) in daylight conditions.

I am completely confused by Jobo drum numbers and have zero experience with Paterson, BTZS or other brands. I am open to any brand that can handle the two film sizes, preferably doing multiple pieces of film at the same time.

Any recommendations for a single tank that could do this would be MUCH appreciated.

Many thanks,

Daniel

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Jobo multitank 6 will process up to 12 sheets of 4X5 (on reels) and 2 sheets of 8X10 inside the tank with no reels.
    You can use it with a roller base, but doing color in an un tempered environment might be tricky (though you can figure out a way to do that).
    You can also do roll film in the same tank (with another type of reel).
    Its the ultimate do it all solution for LF\roll film.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Forgot to mention - the roller base is a very very small thing, that breaks down even smaller, and its cheap too
    CatLABS of JP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by krifartida View Post
    The Jobo multitank 6 will process up to 12 sheets of 4X5 (on reels) and 2 sheets of 8X10 inside the tank with no reels.
    You can use it with a roller base, but doing color in an un tempered environment might be tricky (though you can figure out a way to do that).
    You can also do roll film in the same tank (with another type of reel).
    Its the ultimate do it all solution for LF\roll film.
    Which Multitank 6 tank can do the 2 8x10 films?

As far as I know, for 8x10, you need the expert drum.
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
    Which Multitank 6 tank can do the 2 8x10 films?

As far as I know, for 8x10, you need the expert drum.
    Every multitank 6 can. As it is the same as 2830, one can load 2 sheets of 8X10 in a multitank 6\2830 with no modifications needed.

Expert drums would be ideal for 8X10, and any other format smaller then that, but will require lugging it around, it is fairly large... Also, if you do use it for anything smaller then 8X10 you will be wasting some (up to 50%) of the chemistry.
    CatLABS of JP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do not think this is correct. Most of the Multitank 6 (25xx tanks) do not have the ridges to hold the sheet films. You may be able to get away with just one film, but not two at the same time.

Jobo is strongly against using print drums (28xx) for sheet film. There are ridges to anchor the films, but the ridges (rails) inhibit the flow of chemicals to remove the antihalation layer during processing.

For 8x10 film, use Expert drum or other devices.
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Beseler and Unicolor paper drums. Before I had motor bases I just rolled them back and forth on a 2x4 by hand. The spouts can leak light, but with a little care, it's not an issue, even for HP5+ shot at 1600. Also, it only uses 200ml of chemistry for up to four 4x5 sheets.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have a few Multitank 6 drums (marked as Multitank 6 and 2830), they all have the ridges. My Multitank 5 does not. I process all my B+W and C-41 8x10 in the Multitank 6 with excellent results. I did extensive (and expensive) testing to see if there were any ill effect from the small ridges on the back side of the film and found none: neither visually on the negative, in the resulting print, nor densitometrically.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always use 2509 for 4x5. I have 2830, 2840 and 2850. I may use some old films to try it. What I wonder here is that, if 28xx drums work just fine, then why folks still pay $500 for the expert drums. They can have the 2830 for less than $50...
    A photo amateur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
    I always use 2509 for 4x5. I have 2830, 2840 and 2850. I may use some old films to try it. What I wonder here is that, if 28xx drums work just fine, then why folks still pay $500 for the expert drums. They can have the 2830 for less than $50...

They just don't know where the information is available.

I understand there's a site called apug or something that may have that information.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin