Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,978   Posts: 1,523,696   Online: 1102

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

FujiMoto CP31 Developer's leaking into Fix Tank

I help run a public darkroom and we have a FujiMoto CP31 and we're having some technical issues:

the developer is leaking from its tank into the fix tank at a rate of about 50 mL every couple of minutes. It's only happening when the processor is on, and it's not 'flooding' over, which is to say the developer isn't flowing over the top of the tank and into the fix tank.

Has anyone ever had heard of this, or know what it the problem could be? I am so stumped on this one!

Any advice or information is very very much appreciated!
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    You need to empty all the chemistry and try to trouble-shoot the problem with H2O. Somehow I doubt your diagnosis is correct. I have a cp51 and a cp32. These two machines have separate recirculation pumps for each bath. I'm not certain about the cp31 but it seems unlikely that the first two baths would share a single pump. Are you using the replenishment module?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are all the springs in place on the ends of the rollers? The rollers, especially the last in each bath act to squeegee the chemicals and reduce carry thru.
    "O" rings make a good replacement if you can't find new springs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by George Nova Scotia View Post
    Are all the springs in place on the ends of the rollers? The rollers, especially the last in each bath act to squeegee the chemicals and reduce carry thru.
    "O" rings make a good replacement if you can't find new springs.
    The op made it sound like the problem is independent of prints being run through the machine. Besides, 50ml would be quite a bit of carry through especially at the 11" size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is no interconnection in the tanks piping systems, so it must be at the tank level.

My guess is that the spray bar in some manner is mis aimed, or has too many outlets plugged with cruddies, so that the pump is squirting liquid out where the piping joins the spray bar.

The public darkroom comment makes me suspect that the machine needs a good cleaning, roller scrub, and spring and spray bar inspection. I had good sucess cleaning the spray arm with a longe scrubby thing marketted at claning glass baby bottles

A transfer rack clean off also would help.

Maybe the overflow of the developer tank is somehow plugged, and the overflow of tank 1 is being washed into the next tank, or event the third tank along the end areas if the machine is not mounted on a levellled surface?.

I find myself curious how they run theirs. The first tank is usually deevloper, because it has the most accurate thermostat ( or at least mine did until it went flaky.)

The last tank I thought would be blix, with a water bath of stop between them. Maybe they run tank 2 as blix.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    The op made it sound like the problem is independent of prints being run through the machine. Besides, 50ml would be quite a bit of carry through especially at the 11" size.
    You're likely right, 50ml would be a lot of carryover. Maybe a problem with the spray bars? twisted the wrong way? A hole partly blocked and spraying the wrong way? a leak at the right angle rubber connection?

Shooter
    Large Format
    [QUOTE=Mike Wilde;1423071]There is no interconnection in the tanks piping systems, so it must be at the tank level.

My guess is that the spray bar in some manner is mis aimed, or has too many outlets plugged with cruddies, so that the pump is squirting liquid out where the piping joins the spray bar.

The public darkroom comment makes me suspect that the machine needs a good cleaning, roller scrub, and spring and spray bar inspection. I had good sucess cleaning the spray arm with a longe scrubby thing marketted at claning glass baby bottles

A transfer rack clean off also would help.

Maybe the overflow of the developer tank is somehow plugged, and the overflow of tank 1 is being washed into the next tank, or event the third tank along the end areas if the machine is not mounted on a levellled surface?.

I find myself curious how they run theirs. The first tank is usually deevloper, because it has the most accurate thermostat ( or at least mine did until it went flaky.)

The last tank I thought would be blix, with a water bath of stop between them. Maybe they run tank 2 as blix.

These are all excellent suggestions. However I'm sure that the school is running the blix in the second bath as this is how the majority of people set up this machine, especially if they have the wash module. However, I'm curious as to how the op has determined that it's developer that's flowing into the second bath. Given that the unit is in a gang drkrm, they most likely have it set up with the replenisher unit. If the sensor bar is grimey and the developer replenisher feed is clogged (much more likely than the blix replenisher feed being clogged) then the second bath would non-stop replenish and the developer bath would just evaporate - a scenario that would match the op's. More careful observation is needed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks so much for all of your responses!

I'd already drained all the chemistry and run it with just water in it, after a very thorough cleaning. I kept the lid off and watched what was happening there's no liquid moving over the top off the tanks so it's not the spray bars or the overflow.

We don't use the replenishment module. And I was able to determine that it was fluid from the developer tank moving into the fixer tank during the water test, by filling each tank with exactly 2 liters of water and then draining both after running it (with the lid off, rollers out) for a few minutes. When I drained it there was substantially more water coming out of the second tank than the first, I measured the difference and thats how I got the rate of 50 mL per 2 minutes.

I'll go ahead and try cleaning the spray bars with a bottle brush, it definitely couldn't hurt. Any other idea?
    Last edited by mmmdarkroom; 11-24-2012 at 05:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you're not using the replenishment module then the excess that you're measuring in tank one can only be accounted for by spill over from tank two. There is no other likely scenario.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, the excess is actually in tank two and it's definitely coming from tank 1 but it is not flooding over the top of the tank. I've filled it with water and watched it run with the lid off and the rollers out and each time I can see the fluid level in tank one getting lower as it rises in tank 2. Has anyone heard of this happening before?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin