Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,314   Online: 1193

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thoughts on the Super Chromega Dichroic Enlarger

A couple of weeks a go I picked up a full free darkroom from someone who was going to toss it in the local city dump. I was able to pick up all kinds of things for FREE!! and one of the things is a 4x5 enlarger. I have not used one since college and was excited to get my hands on one again. I was wondering if any of you fine people have any thoughts on this enlarger? The amount of stuff I was able to pick up was unreal. If anyone wants to know more of what I picked up and maybe help me figure out some of this stuff I would really appreciate it a lot!

TimClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-11-04 09.53.09.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	509.2 KB 
ID:	60110

Shooter
    Large Format
    Looks like a great opportunity for you to start a darkroom. Lots of flowing water in Niagara Falls
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    That’s quite a haul. The big enlarger is an Omega D. The photo is too crude for me to be sure, but the enlarger is likely an Omega D2 manual focus enlarger or possibly a D3 or D4 cam & roller mechanical autofocus enlarger. You can find the model tag on the back of the column or in some cases on the side of the column. The D2 is quite desirable. If it’s a D3 or D4 autofocus, the machine can still be used, but is more of a time-saving special-purpose machine intended for a high-volume commercial lab.

The D3 and D4 use a long linear cam and a cam follower wheel to automatically keep the machine in focus as the head is raised for larger prints or lowered for smaller ones. You have to have the proper cam mounted for each focal length lens and changing the cams is a hassle. The cams can be bought but are hard to find and can be expensive. Hope that the machine is a manual focus D2 as this is much more practical than the D3 or D4 autofocus enlargers.

The D2, D3, and D4 enlargers have a relatively short bellows. They use either a flat lens plate for lenses of 50mm-105mm, extended plates for 135mm or 150mm lenses, and recessed-cup plates for lenses as short as 25mm. Using various length lens mounts compensates for the short bellows so that you can use a wide range of focal lengths. The maximum film size is 4” x 5”.

Note: Although D2 flat lens mount plates, extended lens cones, and recessed-cup lens mounts look similar they are different than those used on the D3 and D4, which uses a slightly different set of mounts.

If you look here and click onto “Discontinued Enlargers” you can get see photos and descriptions of the D2, D3, and D4. The listings give a long list of the components and Omega’s part numbers.

http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/

The Chromega D Dichroic (diffusion) lamp house on the enlarger is a current model and works very well with both color or B&W enlarging papers. You can click onto the link “Color Heads” on the KHB site to read the details. The Standard Power Supply for the D Dichroic color head is shown on the countertop. It is a 120-volt to 24-volt step-down transformer with the dedicated 6-blade socket to accept the mating plug from the dichro head.

The smaller enlarger to the left is an Omega B66XL. It’s equipped with the condenser head. You can also mount the Chromega Dichroic B color head which will require the power supply (120-volt to 27-volt step-down transformer). This enlarger is intended for films of up to 6 x 6cm and has a generously long column that permits making 16” x 20” prints with a normal focal length lens.

All together, the combined prices of the equipment shown was several thousands of dollars when new. The D Dichroic head alone is currently priced at $1,918.50 at B&H without the power supply. You scored a tremendous deal.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Dichroic.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the info! it's a D3 i just looked. Here is another photo Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-11-04 13.44.19.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	654.5 KB 
ID:	60116

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is great stuff. You'll have fun with them.

But one thing to keep in mind. You have to know which items you want to spend time on and what items you should discard. I spent some time with a couple of things which are really worthless (outdated) and a total waste of time. The items were free, but my time was not free.
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the 5D-XL Super Chromega Dichroic Enlarger which I use for black & white and color. It is great if you have a high enough ceiling.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You lucky son of a gun!

I have Chromega Dichroic B & D enlargers.

Terrific enlargers for sure!
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Tim,

Extremely easy to use. You will enjoy it. A good time to track down a view camera too.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    D3 and Super Chromega make a nice combination. I made a setup like that for a friend just starting out in darkroom printing. Good luck.
    One thing of note, there is a little plastic or teflon bumper that rides on the fine-focus cam and this can wear away. You will know it is gone if the fine-focus grinds like metal-on-metal as you turn it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bono66 View Post
    A couple of weeks a go I picked up a full free darkroom from someone who was going to toss it in the local city dump. I was able to pick up all kinds of things for FREE!! and one of the things is a 4x5 enlarger. I have not used one since college and was excited to get my hands on one again. I was wondering if any of you fine people have any thoughts on this enlarger? The amount of stuff I was able to pick up was unreal. If anyone wants to know more of what I picked up and maybe help me figure out some of this stuff I would really appreciate it a lot!

TimClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-11-04 09.53.09.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	509.2 KB 
ID:	60110
    Tim, you have a tough life, but someone has to live it. Some of us can only hope to suffer as much as you have.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin