Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,473   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Where would you shop for an enlarger?

I will soon be in the market for a dichroic enlarger. I am leaning toward a D-5XL Super Chromega or something equivalent from Bessler due to the ease of acquiring accessories. Anyplace other than the auction site that anyone can recommend? I am located in Mississippi, USA. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Craigslist is always worth a look.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Also, post a WTB ad. I did and people will come crawling out of the woodwork to answer. However, expect to get about four times as many offers of things you DON'T want.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I see enlargers on Craigslist often. I also see them on news paper classified section. I was offered one when I was shopping at a local hobby/camera store. I gave one away at a local community college. I saw a few for sale at a local art school. I bought one from a used camera store for pretty much nothing.

Because of difficulty in shipping enlargers, you are pretty much limited to your local area as a source. If you keep your eyes open and your wants known to many people, you'll likely to run into one.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Craigslist would be my first stop because it is local. That is where I got my Chromega Chromatic II 5D-XL with a 50mm and 80mm lenses and a 32" wide Omega drum print dryer at one place.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you have any kind of a local photography club or group put the word out there. At least in my town there are so many people who are long-time photographers who have moved away from film and have tons of gear they they are happy to get rid of.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check out Freecycle.org

It's a network of people in your area who have things they don't want and who want to give them away instead of tossing them in the trash.
    The idea is to help keep good, usable stuff out of landfills, etc. "Reduce, Reuse & Recycle" don'tcha' know!

I have Freecycled away two or three old printers and a mini-fridge. I have gotten a bicycle, an Olympus camera and an Omega enlarger.

Ya' gotta' be willing to hustle for things, though.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Craigslist. Ebay, search by how close to you they are, ask seller if you pick up can you save on the shipping charge. If so, might be worth bidding on.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another rec. for CL.
    You don't say where you're located but check larger metro areas and be prepared to drive a bit.
    In the Chicago area, most of 'em on CL tend to be on the high side with an occasional deal. Auction(real ones)
    and government auctions can have some deals too. Just saw a (rough) Leitz focomat llC with lenses go for ~$70 from one of the local community colleges. You can also get in touch with local CC's, high schools or businesses that may have used a darkroom in the past. Graphic arts, etc.
    I guess some folks think they're collectible
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Craiglist definitely worth looking through. Also don't forget thrift stores and Goodwills if you're out and about. Usually the enlargers I find are over priced at thrift stores, but sometimes I'll find a real nice one for dirt cheap. Plus you get to look it over before you have to drive across town to meet up with some stranger who claims they have what you want
    "If it can be written or thought, it can be filmed." - Stanley Kubrick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin