Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,616   Online: 801

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Amazing work! If I were about to change anything about my enlargers, and I came into some cash, I do have an Omega Pro-Lab 4x5 (D2) that I could use this for. Unfortunately my iPhone is only an iPhone 4, but I would probably prefer manual controls if it became available.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very exciting news! When you get closer to the end, any chance of speed-matching the output at all grade levels? Also, would love it for my De Vere 504, or a drop-in replacement for Ilford 500H.

Keep up the good work.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice work, it's very impressive and it's something I'd definitely consider adding to my enlarger (a LPL 4500).

However, FWIW, I am in agreement with Ken and PKM, I have no interest in giving up my f/stop timer, even if the functionality were on a phone app.

For one thing, I don't want to worry that some future phone or even OS update for the same phone may or may not be compatible with my enlarger.
    For example, google IOS 6 and bluetooth...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    For one thing, I don't want to worry that some future phone or even OS update for the same phone may or may not be compatible with my enlarger.
    For example, google IOS 6 and bluetooth...
    This is an excellent point. Software development environments change faster than product purchasers change underware. It's all about hyper-competition via planned obsolescence. And that obsolescence is often out of the hands of the end-user application developer.

My darkroom is how I get off that high-speed merry-go-round. At least on weekends. I'm not so sure I'd want to willingly throw my enlarging system back onto that same merry-go-round.

For example, I've been considering the purchase of a new Epson V750 scanner. Not to make prints. I'd never do that. But just for it's over-sized (up to 8x10) transparency scanning capabilities for online display. I know it will work with Win7. But what if Epson declines to develop a Win8 driver?

Wouldn't want that to happen to my darkroom...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Call me old fashion, I would want to use my vintage 70's timers.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
    Very exciting news! When you get closer to the end, any chance of speed-matching the output at all grade levels? Also, would love it for my De Vere 504, or a drop-in replacement for Ilford 500H.
    Absolutely. The grade levels are pretty much speed matched now but there definitely will be the option to tweak them further in future versions of the software.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If this fits a D2 then maybe it *might* fit my 45MX since I am using the Aristo cold light head that came with my D2...?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The OP says this Model 3 version is built into the same external housing as the Model 2. If you look at the Model 2 on his website:

Modern Enlarger Lamps, Model 2

you can see the Omega-specific 4 horizontal bars that match up with the raising/lowering carriage assembly unit unique to the D-series. It's not a circular Aristo-style drop-in. However, since I don't own a Beseler 45MX, I can't say if it might be adaptable or not. I'd be curious if you think so...

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Nice!

I'm in the process right now of making enlargements from overexposed and overdeveloped 50+ year old 35mm negatives. This level of intensity would be a huge help. I'm struggling somewhat with lengthy exposure times for full-frame magnifications on 8x10. These negatives are opaque. I've had to go back to a high-intensity single-tube V54 head and use Ilford under-the-lens filtration for the worst offenders.

Do you have any data regarding effective intensity levels for the low contrast end? Grades 0 and 1? As we've already discussed, there seems to be about a 10x natural exposure time spread between the highest and lowest contrast levels. And my overdeveloped negatives are also very high in contrast, thus requiring those lower filtration levels.

Also as we've discussed, my preference would be for a unit that can be integrated directly into my existing enlarging set-up and workflow. I would prefer to continue using the Zone VI Timer that I've already invested in and grown accustomed to over the years.

The thing about f/stop printers is that I might imagine the bulk of those interested in that approach have probably also already invested in (rather expensive) timing units, and evolved their own workflows around those. My guess is that they may not want to give those up either.
    Thank you for your comments and insights.

The Model 3 is pretty well speed matched across all grades so you can expect grade 0 on my device to be about double the brightness of a 150W bulb at grade 0.

I see your point about being able to integrate a new device into an existing workflow. I certainly could build a hardware controller and did originally intend to do so but I quickly realized that whatever I built would be limited in its capabilities by its limited user interface. The beauty of a software interface is that you get to leverage off the incredible work Apple has done with hardware while freeing yourself to create a controller with nearly unlimited capabilities. Than being said, I did make a prototype box that uses the an LCD display, some knobs and buttons and works well but it would be very expensive to make in the small quantities one could expect to sell and would simply not be viable. However, there is a fellow in England who is building a hardware interface for his own LED device and we have collaborated so that his controller will work with my light box. That may be an option for some people who have existing timers they don't want to part with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cardiomac View Post
    ...there is a fellow in England who is building a hardware interface for his own LED device and we have collaborated so that his controller will work with my light box. That may be an option for some people who have existing timers they don't want to part with.
    Might that be this LED device?

Ken

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin