Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,089   Online: 855

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Focomat + focotar vs. magnifax + el nikkor

Hi all,

first disclaimer - test was done, but glass in negative carriers and glass on scanner are full of dust, so final print is far away from usual cleanness. Also focomat negative is not 100% - I must peal negative mask to show 110% percent of negative to be able to get black border around picture.

But test is good enough to see difference: el nikkor has much more contrast, also you can see that in el nikkor (75mm f4) there is a little less resolution in details. Focotar (40mm f2.8) is lower in contrast, more details.

Also what I noticed that focomat light is not very bright like magnifax, but I need to check later do I have original bulb in focomat.

Here are the links:

Focotar:

http://darkosaric.deviantart.com/art...test-339814019

El nikkor:

http://darkosaric.deviantart.com/art...test-339814179

Focotar detail:

http://darkosaric.deviantart.com/art...tail-339814222

El nikkor detail:

http://darkosaric.deviantart.com/art...tail-339814256

edit: click 2 times on photos on links to see full size of photo.
    Film: efke 100, rodinal 1+100. Camera M6 + summicron 50mm type 3 + orange filter.

regards,
    Darko
    Last edited by darkosaric; 11-26-2012 at 04:57 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    35mm
    Without being able to compare them side to side, I am going to stick my neck out here and say the Nikkor seems to have the edge, Especially in the detail shots. Contrast looks the same or possibly stronger on the Nikkor too.

I use an LPL with a Nikkor and cannot fault it except when doing colour printing. On big enlargements there is always a bit of colour fringing where detail is visible against a blue sky. I would change it for an Apo Rodagon but really cannot justify the cost.

I did improve the sharpness after I converted a glassless carrier with one piece of Anti Newton Ring glass from a 35mm slide mount which I fixed to the upper half of the carrier. This holds the negative very very flat indeed.
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 11-26-2012 at 09:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Darko,

I would say the enlarger light source is another variable. I presume you are talking about the Focomat V35 and Magnifax with condenser head. In that case the V35's mixed diffuser/condenser light versus the Magnifax's purely condenser light might significantly factor into the equation.

Regards,
    Omar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, it is V35, and Magnifax with condenser head.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    el nikkor (75mm f4) there is a little less resolution in details. Focotar (40mm f2.8) is lower in contrast, more details.
    Did you also try the lenses stopped down to f8? I suspect they will be similar at that aperture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Did you also try the lenses stopped down to f8? I suspect they will be similar at that aperture.
    I did not - since focomat has not so bright light bulb - I used it on f2.8, and el nikkor was on f5.6.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    I did not - since focomat has not so bright light bulb - I used it on f2.8, and el nikkor was on f5.6.
    Focotar (40mm f2.8) is lower in contrast,
    That should not be a surprise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Compare it with 2.8/50 mm EL-Nikkor. And both lens on their sharpest settings (should be around f/4-5.6).
    It's kind of unfair to compare 6 element lens designed for 36x24 mm frame against 4 element lens designed for medium format...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas_87 View Post
    Compare it with 2.8/50 mm EL-Nikkor. And both lens on their sharpest settings (should be around f/4-5.6).
    It's kind of unfair to compare 6 element lens designed for 36x24 mm frame against 4 element lens designed for medium format...
    Yes, I should do that. But right now I can't - my el nikkor 50/2.8 is not available, being on another place at the moment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would also say that the enlarger light source is the most important variable here.It is old enlarger question: diffusion vs condenser. In Darko s test focomat scan has better tonality, magnifax scan has higher contrast. High contrast and blocked tones in magnifax scan are result of condenser lens quality. My Magnifax has better condensers than my old Krokus, but it does not reach the quality of condensers in my Leitz enlargers. With focomat 1, valoy or focomat 2 very sharp prints with beautiful tonality could be done. Very similar to contact print.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin