Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,322   Online: 917

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just sell the parts. New motors, pumps, circuit boards etc. Shipping should not be too bad that way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for your replies and thoughts.

Like I said, currently it's just an idea - although I do intend to refurbish one CPP2 motor unit for myself, replacing the rotation motor, pump and the electronics, just to see how difficult (and expensive) it would be.

I'm doing this together with a friend who's very good with electronics, and so far we've decided that the whole story should not be too complicated.
    Once we get one of those beasts done, I'll have more info and more detailed price and, possibly, available options.

Anyway, I'd still like to have your opinions on the setup and possible improvements.

I've been thinking about adding a programmable timer with audible alarm(s) (like the new CPP3 has), but it complicates matters greatly. Besides, having a separate timer is not a big deal (smartphones come to mind, although for that purpose I still use a Palm Pilot )
    The majority of electronic parts should be replaced by PID temperature control unit, plus the module for setting the rotation speed.
    That one redesign on the link in my first post (on Large Format Forum) got me thinking about the whole thing: given the average age of these processors, I am of the opinion that the best thing would be to replace everything with readily available parts, i.e. both motors and the electronics.
    I'll be able to tell you more in a week or so, after we've done some sourcing for the motors and other parts.

In short, I'm not offering anything yet - currently I'm just trying to see if there is any interest in such a service, at the (tentative) price I mentioned.

In the meantime, please feel free to suggest anything else that you might think of, including the preferences (e.g. everything contained in the existing motor unit, or with a separate control panel, like the one in LFF link I provided in my first post...).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Probably completely out of the question, but I've always wanted a little red led lamp telling me which chemical is currently being run through (or, telling me which to use next; you get the idea :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Denis, I think that you have a good idea, however your market will be in Europe rather than North America.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    Probably completely out of the question, but I've always wanted a little red led lamp telling me which chemical is currently being run through (or, telling me which to use next; you get the idea :-)
    Satoru, I think that what you have in mind is actually a JOBO ATL processor - the one which is fully self-contained, and in which you don't need to change chemistry manually: it sucks it automatically from the containers....It's also programmable for different processes. But, that's an altogether different beast: see the link HERE.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nearly twenty years ago there already had been a DIY modification of a CPE-Lift into an automated processor. Denis could offer such modification, but meanwhile he would have to compete with used ATL's.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Denis: I've thought about the ATLs, and I actually came pretty close to picking up an ATL-1000 from a guy in Maine a couple years ago.. ultimately decided against it as it wouldn't handle Expert Drums, which is pretty essential for me :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Final update - sorry, but...

After extensive research into materials and parts availability, and particularly after my recent experience with shipping some minor items abroad (UK, USA, etc.), I have decided that the contemplated JOBO processor service/refurbishing is, after all, not economically viable.
    Given that you can purchase a second-hand processor for about $400-$500 (sometimes less), spending $500 for refurbishing, and again about $150-$300 for postage doesn't really make sense.
    Besides, you can never be 100% certain that the stuff won't be broken/damaged in shipping. Also, the insured/courier shipping, which is (supposedly) more reliable, would cost an arm and a leg.

Simply not realistic. It might work locally (even within the EU), though shipping would still be a killer, but overseas is simply not economically viable

Therefore, I have given up this project, and am moving to other projects... soon to be announced

Denis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Denis,

I guess this has been the realization of the MANY suggested Jobo upgrade\clone\DIY projects that came and went over the years.

The bottom line is that in essence the existing Jobo system works, albeit with its inherent flaws, which over time have all gotten workarounds of various levels of creativity.

BTW - The numbers you mention above, even without the shipping are close to the actual cost of upgrading a CPP2 with Jobo parts to start out with.

It still is a nice idea and perhaps one day it will come to fruition.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Denis, I picked up a Jobo CPP2 with bottles and tanks on APUG for $150US shipped. I think that you are giving up too easily.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin