Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,132   Online: 877

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

JOBO CPP2/CPA2 refurbishing/rebuild?

Lately I've acquired a couple of older JOBO CPP2 processors, with some defects (which I repaired in the meantime), which got me thinking...

I saw several ingenious rebuilds/repairs of older JOBO processors, so I started thinking about this a bit: many of older JOBO machines are in need of repair/spare parts (which are expensive and/or difficult to obtain - think pumps, pump motors, or rotation motors).

So, I'm thinking about perhaps offering a complete rebuild of CPA2/CPP2 processors: new rotation motor, new pump/pump motor, new electronics, which would either fit in the existing motor housing, or be attached to a separate control unit, something like this (on LFF):
    ingenious JOBO CPP2 upgrade.

I'm thinking there should be at least some interest, so several units could be rebuilt: it's not cost-effective to do just one-off...

However, I'm in Croatia, and most of the potential clients are probably in the USA - the shipping cost won't be negligible. But, still: having in mind the cost of the new CPP3, I think that for the price of about $400-$500 for a total rebuild, there might be a few interested parties.

I'll most likely have one ready in a month or so, but would like to have some input in the meantime: do I put a new control unit in a separate housing (away from possible spills, like the one in the above link on LFF), or fit everything in the existing housing, like the original?
    I'm leaning towards a separate unit, like in the link above: no matter how careful you are, you often end up spilling a bit over the knobs

Separate switches for heating element, solenoid and pump?

Any other considerations?

Is the price too high? I don't think so - I think I read somewhere that just the new replacement JOBO pump is somewhere in the $150-$160 range... Add a new rotation motor, new electronics (something like THIS, could be a high quality item, like Omron, or a cheaper one - available starting from approx. $30-$40....).... plus the work involved... - I don't think $400-$500 is too much to ask.

Which still leaves us with the question if anyone will be willing to pay that much for it?

Any thoughts on the above? Any interest in something like this? What about the price?

Thanks for any thoughts you might offer

I'll definitely rebuild one for myself (in a month or so, most likely), and then post some photos.

Denis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Let's say there is a "dead" CPP2, which just can't be used without a total overhaul. Then I'd say, if everything can be contained w/in $600 would be around the threshold for me, including shipping. For a complete ressurrection, that's not expensive.

BUT, considering how shipping would be prohibitive between Croatia and, say, the US, I think a DIY kit & tutorial video for, say, $350 might be a coold option.

I personally have stashed away a late version CPA2 just in case my CPP2 dies so I won't be needing something like this for a while (fingers crossed).

On a completely unrelated note, no word on the camera yet

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Re: JOBO CPP2/CPA2 refurbishing/rebuild?

I would definitly be interested. I'm in Belgium and have a cpp2, and I know it WILL fail someday. ..

Stefan

Verstuurd van mijn GT-P7510 met Tapatalk

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Denis - this sounds super interesting! i would love to see the results. I wonder what the actual benefit and or cost of this upgrade would be. How fast can it be done, and if the unit running 110V 60Hz needs to be shipped to you would you be able to work on it?

Looking forward to seeing some photos!
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In that posting on the LFF forum there are these modifications I don't understand:

5) switch for solenoid-to turn off when controlled by temperature controller

6) switch for solenoid to turn on manually

8) Switch on off for motor (that modification already employed a pump-on&motor-off selection)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    In that posting on the LFF forum there are these modifications I don't understand:

5) switch for solenoid-to turn off when controlled by temperature controller

6) switch for solenoid to turn on manually

8) Switch on off for motor (that modification already employed a pump-on&motor-off selection)

The original poster is not a native English speaker, so I would take what he wrote with a grain of salt.

Basically, the original JOBO CPP2 already has the switches for power (main red switch, which turns on both the heater and digital readout), pump and motor (motor turn on/off and speed selector knob) - basically the three knobs in the lower row, from left to right.

However, my CPP2 does not have any means of turning off the cold water solenoid. Since I don't have a cold water inlet (intake and overflow are not connected to anything), I wish I could simply turn off the solenoid when not needed - it just makes unnecessary noise and scares me every now and then into thinking something's broken!

So, a separate switch which turns off the solenoid completely would be welcome, IMHO.

On the other hand, a separate switch for powering the unit and another swhitch for heater might also be OK. Sometimes one might just want to take a reading of the current temp in the bath, without turning the heater on. That would also reduce the danger of overheating when e.g. there's no water in the bath - although JOBO CPP2 has a temp sensor on the heating element which is probably used to prevent such overheating. However, I think that other, smaller processors (CPE?) do not have this safety mechanism, as far as I remember (I had a CPE a few years back,before upgrading first to CPA2 and lately to CPP2).

I'm just thinking aloud... it's the stuff that I've come across so far (or heard of here on apug and on LFF).
    But, with the PID temp. sensor & control, some of these issues are avoided.

In short, the aim is to replace the aging (and failing) parts - mostly electronic, with something standard and relatively easy to obtain/replace (PID controller), beef up the rotation motor, and perhaps replace the pump (and its motor), if necessary.

I'm waiting to hear any other suggestions....

Satoru's (rawhead) suggestion to offer the upgrade as a kit isn't really practical: the innards of the JOBO motor unit are not easily disassembled, and it would take some skill to be able to do the whole shebang using the supplied new parts. But, who knows, maybe that would also be possible.

BTW, of course you would not send the WHOLE processor for the upgrade: just the motor unit (the unit with the heater and the pump, which easily unscrews from the water bath) - which makes the whole thing much more manageable.

Denis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A separate heater switch would be nice, as I use my CPP2 quite often for my B&W developing when I don't need any temperature control (faucet gives me 20˚C most times of the year). Currently I just change all the temp dials to the lowest setting, which usually keeps the heater off, but that means I need to reset it back to the 37.4˚ or so that I use for my color dev every time

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Re: JOBO CPP2/CPA2 refurbishing/rebuild?

I have an early version and the motor has some trouble with 3000-series tanks. How much would an upgrade to a newer motor cost?

Stefan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think a Do It Yourself kit with instructions make better sense or partner w someone in USA to do it. Even then, shipping cost would be expensive so DIY would seem the practical solution.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gliderbee View Post
    I have an early version and the motor has some trouble with 3000-series tanks. How much would an upgrade to a newer motor cost?

Stefan

The CPP2 upgrade to newer motor and DC board board is avialble and possible but fairly expensive, and in most cases it is easier and cheaper to find a used late model machine then to do the upgrade.

A CPP3 upgrade option will be available as soon as 115V become available.

Another alternative is to keep a spare "old style" motor on hand (which are fairly cheap), in case you end up killing the motor.

This more extensive upgrade suggested above seems very promising, and is altogether a different idea.

That said - parts and service for most Jobo processors (and all CPA\CPP\CPE) are readily available.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin