Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,873   Posts: 1,583,549   Online: 881

Shooter
    Multi Format

How Safe is The Darkroom Paper Safe?

I have a standard Premier darkroom paper safe that has been sitting around for some time. I just wonder how safe it is to store photo papers, both BW and color. It does not make me very comfortable since I do not see any door seals and door latches, but a very simple device. Was it designed to store BW paper for next a couple of hours?

Since I print color paper most of the time, my darkroom is light tight. I divided my color papers into small packages and stored in black paper bags. I could also use my film change bag if I do not trust the light-tightness of the darkroom.

I've also seen people using some draws in the desk to store opened papers. I do not know how good that is.
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I use one of the large ones that have three shelves in it and it works just fine for color paper.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ive been using one of those open top paper safes for years without black bags and my papers been fine. i do not own the premier but one of the ones Freestyle sold. Hope that helps!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How long do you keep the paper inside? A couple of hours, or a couple of days? or longer?
    Yes, this one is the open top, I just do not know how it can keep light tight this way. But glad to know that it works.
    A photo amateur
    Sinar P2/F2/Nikon F100/Bronica ETRSi/GS/Saunders 4550XLG/Jobo CPP2/CPE+/Colorline 7000

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have two kinds of safes, a roll-front and a hinged top opening box. Both work well with any paper I've had. Just put one piece of paper in it in the dark, close it, turn on the lights for an hour or two, then develop it for piece of mind.

Shooter
    35mm
    When on a B&W nightschool course with no home darkroom I stored my stock of paper in a papersafe which I transported every week to the course. When it was at home it was in normal daylight. No problem over a period of 10 weeks

I later converted a room in the house to a darkroom and kept RA4 in papersafes in the room in normal daylight. No problem resulted

Frankly if it hasn't allowed light in in a matter of hours then it isn't going to let light enter in a matter of months

If you have a properly constructed papersafe then I wouldn't worry

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got a couple of the flip top ones, can't remember the brand name, but I put some foam weatherstripping around the inside edge of the lid, which blocks the light and makes it difficult to open accidentally. I've left some unbagged colour and b&w paper in them for more than a year, no evidence of light fogging.
    Bob

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin