Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,458   Online: 907

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Foma Led safelight

Hello everyone,
    Among other things for the lab, I'm in the market for safelights and stumbled into this
    http://www.foma.cz/ew/6e055ff9-78a1-...47c4bd01f20-en
    Anyone familiar with these led safelight for B&W printing. Are they safe :-D? I'd go for the red (feels safer) do you think it might work for a quick film inspection also?
    The other option would be a classic kodak beehive. How big are they? Do you thing I would need two for a 12m2 darkroom (one for the sink one for the enlarger)? Or could one be enough?
    Thank you

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i use a simple red led spot bounced off the ceiling, in the meanwhile no fogged papers the led bulbs have a very narrow wave length and can be utilized easily for darkroom use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for this, I have been looking for a Red LED safelight for some time. I shall investagate further.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Keep us posted if you find any useful info!
    It's pricey but I tend to think that Foma is a reliable enough brand to trust. Anyone see a reason not too?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vania View Post
    Hello everyone,
    Among other things for the lab, I'm in the market for safelights and stumbled into this
    http://www.foma.cz/ew/6e055ff9-78a1-...47c4bd01f20-en
    Anyone familiar with these led safelight for B&W printing. Are they safe :-D? I'd go for the red (feels safer) do you think it might work for a quick film inspection also?
    Please let us know how it worked out—I recommend you do the Kodak safelight test. I am curious what is the wavelength of the LEDs used in that product.

Officially, red safelight is not safe for film processing, except for orthochromatic film. However, if all you do is a very brief inspection, once the film has already been in the developer for a while (at which time it becomes less sensitive to light) you should get away with it. Personally, I wouldn't risk any negatives that I value this way.

Out of curiosity, why would you like to inspect film? Until you have fixed it, it won't be easy to see that much, especially with a quick inspection, as most of it will be milky opaque.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am just assuming that the film and paper manufacturer does know a little bit about safelights. Panchromatic films need a dark green safelight, and is only safe even then for a very brief period as far as I understand it. Night googles and a IR-emitting light might be a better bet then.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Regarding film inspection I was just considering fooling around with some 8x10 films experiment and save on film by inspecting as opposed to going through the full process before making adjustments. But I must say I don't really know what I'm talking about here .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These safelights seem very nice. Where can I buy them?

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Where can I buy them?
    Foma, Foma distributors, shops in Prague (Foto Skoda) etc.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Check their website for distributors (foma.cz)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin