Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,112   Online: 864

Thread: 50mm break down

Shooter
    35mm

50mm break down

Does anyone here know the whereabouts of a dis-assembly diagram for the Nikon 50mm f/2.8 El-Nikkor (new-ish plastic version)? I've acquired one very cheap bit it has a lot of haze internally. Thought I'd open it up for cleaning.

thanks!

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Enlarging lenses are pretty simple to take apart. There is usually a front cell and a rear cell that contain two or three lenses each. Just be sure you use a proper spanner to the remove the cells and then disassemble each cell using the spanner as well. The retaining rings have unusually small slots and are usually made of a soft metal so it is super easy to chew up a retaining ring. Once you open up a lens and clean it you will see how simple they are.

The hard part is getting them back together without getting dust/lint/fingerprints etc. inside if you don't use a laminar flow bench. Dust Off does help but somehow there is always a little piece of something left inside! I am somewhat of a perfectionist though and it has to be clean; however, a tiny bit of dust usually does not affect performance. I use a lens suction cup tool to handle the lenses on re-assembly to avoid fingerprints.

Last hint: work over a soft cloth. Think how you're going to feel when one of the lens elements falls off onto the tile floor and chips an edge.
    Last edited by Fred Aspen; 12-03-2012 at 10:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    -Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haze is usually only between front and rear lens group . So, just unscrew the back of the lens with fingers (turn left) and clean the glass inside.
    Good luck.

Shooter
    35mm
    Plus whatever you do don't even touch the diaphragm. If that falls to bits it is worse than the hardest jigsaw you ever saw!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This lens is one of the best and easiest to dis-assemble for cleaning. I've gotten 2 for cheap and cleaned them as well as my 3rd one. Great lens, perhaps maybe not as good on extra large prints 16x20+ but still excellent for the money.
    The front and rear groups come out easy, thats the first step, if you clean those surfaces and that does it then Stop and put it back together. Let me know if you need to go further.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin