Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,730   Online: 856

Shooter
    Multi Format

Darkroom Wall Cloth

I'm starting to plan a utility room darkroom in the basement. I don't want to build a permanent structure, so I did some research and came up with: blackout cloth, commando cloth and Duvetyne.

This is one specific product that looks promising. If anyone has a better fabric choice, let me know. http://www.rosebrand.com/product34/B...526%2bBlackout

The ceiling of the room is unfinished. So my plan is to attach the cloth with Velcro onto the wooden supports above. I'm not sure yet how I'll anchor the cloth to the floor. I've thought of Velcro, or using weights of some kind. For the door I expect a flap fixed with Velcro would work.

If anyone sees a flaw in the plan or has some advice. I'm all ears.

Thanks,
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When i used a temp Darkroom with cloth walls i framed them out of pvc pipe, then attached the cloth to the pipe with velcro strips. Door was just 3 curtains that overlapped with the bottom of the "door" about half a foot longer to allow it to block light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am using blackouts for my room, as curtains... It gets too bright in the summer mornings
    It is a considerably heavy fabric, velcro might not carry it for long especially if you plan to cover a large area.
    Even though it blocks light perfectly, it is not %100 light proof, but 2 or 3 layers of blackout would be 100% light proof IMO.
    I believe it would be a good idea for portable solution, but extra layers would increase the cost.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I was in college and moving around frequently, I build a darkroom with five eight by eight panels. I made the panels from 1x4 pine lumber, covered them with large sheets of cardboard painted back and fastened together with door hinges, three to a side. One panel had a simple door. When I needed to move it all I had to do was pull the hinge pins to disassemble it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrede View Post
    or has some advice. I'm all ears.
    Velcro will work fine - It is what I use over the door and window in my darkroom. However, don't sew the stuff otherwise you'll end up with a nice neat row of holes to let the light in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about one of those grow tents from ebay? They sell for ~120 or a small one. They are quite popular for erm, indoor growing of, err certain herbs I think......

Fran

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    don't use devetyne. the flame retardant fibers come off in the form of dust that you don't want to breath or have to clean up. also look up "ultrabounce" at modern studio equipment. it's like white/black ripstop but opaque. black out "paper" is also used in the film industry to seal up windows/doors. if you're basement isn't too bright you may get away with plain old black ripstop nylon which is available at any fabric shop.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've used black plastic sheeting from farm and hardware stores. Probably more than one layer will be required. Thin strips of wood such as lath can hold it to an unfinished ceiling and wall. Heavier strips of wood can hold it tight against the floor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    What about one of those grow tents from ebay? They sell for ~120 or a small one. They are quite popular for erm, indoor growing of, err certain herbs I think......

Fran
    ...and quite legally here in Colorado.
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin