Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,481   Posts: 1,542,707   Online: 962

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilford Multigrade 500H and 500P (head and power supply) Questions!

I have been using and VERY happy with the Ilford Ilfospeed 500 enlarger head system on my D2. A few months back, however, my fan motor in the head literally blew up in smoke. It seems that my fan continuously runs while powered on. It will sound like it "kicks off" but the fan never stops running; and it didn't always do that. I don't know if the power supply runs/triggers the fan or if in fact it is a head issue, but luckily I have a backup (of all components) and was able to replace the burned out head with another. The fan, however, is doing the same thing! I thought that perhaps it's something to do with the power supply, so I went to change it out and use the backup, but cannot get that one to power up! So, myquestions are:

1) what component is responsible for the fan turning on and off (triggered by heat/time/whatever) - the head, power supply or the controller (which I also have a backup of, but haven't tried yet). Does using the probe made a difference at all with any of this?

2) is there a place/person that repairs the Ilford 500 Ilfospeed system? I would need both the burned out fan head and the non-working power supply fixed. This sucker will be a BEAR to ship (power supply is super heavy) but it's worth it to me to have this system running smoothly. I cannot imagine going back to some type of under the lens filter system (oh, and I also use the probe and footswitch, if that means anything regarding my issue...).

HELP!

I do have a currently working setup, but with the fan never actually turning off, I know it's probably only a matter of time before this head gets fried!

Thanks for your help!

Katie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have all the answers but I'll try - hopefully a couple others will join in.

1) As best I can see the fan is controlled by a circuit in the power supply unit - which in turn is triggered by the controller. It seems to be linked to the safelight control circuit as well. I haven't figured out if there is a separate control signal for the fan or just one from the controller to signal the safelight and the fan. There is a timer circuit in the power supply which keeps the fan on for time (2-3 minutes I think).

Now two questions for you. Do you have a safelight hooked up to the power supply and is it going on and off as expected? Does the power supply - head connector have a round pin or are they all flat?

2) I have no idea who could fix them. Sourcing a new fan motor might be fun. I think most of the chips & transistors are still available but not 100% sure on that. I too have a second system as a "spare" just in case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a man, in UK, who used to work for Ilford commissioning these systems for them while they were a current product. He still does that, and he is able to fix those, or at least, I would hope, to give you some advice. I did not ask for his permission to post his name online, so let me ask him, over email, and if he is good with that, I'd happily share the contact.

It might be cheaper, though, to get a spare power supply than to ship to and from UK.

By the way, you say that you have a fully spare system, does that include all components, 500S supply, 500H head, and 500C controller?

Probe should make no difference. Fan should be coming on and off, indeed, controller instigates that operation.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok - this helps; should I switch out the controller to see if that would solve the fan problem? I haven't tried the spare controller yet, but am assuming it works. It seems to be on good shape (unlike the spare power source, which looks like it was dropped, by the way...). Head connector pins are all flat - no round pins. And no safelight. Never used them attached. I currently use a Thomas Duplex, which is awesome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Katie, I just heard from the man who repairs the Ilford 500, he is ok for me to give you his email. His name is Desmond Wilson. He will be able to help you, if you canot fix it by swaping around. I'll PM his email, so that bots don't harvest it from the forum.

Indeed, you should switch out each component at a time, until you find the faulty one. Glad you have spares, I should think of that.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    35mm
    Electric motors are very standardized (I'm assuming its the motor that died, not the fan blade) so I recommend you look for an electric motor shop which could either rebuild or replace the motor for you. Try the yellow pages or do a google search. For example, some years ago I pulled a small motor out of a computer printer and took it to a nearby repair shop. Within 24 hours I had it back and was re-installing it in the printer. It wasn't my job to maintain this equipment, but since I needed the printer to perform my work this was quicker (and much cheaper) than going through the manufacturer's field sevice.
    [FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][/FONT]Chuck B

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is a service manual at the Ilford website. It should be enough for a qualified electrician if you find one locally.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Katie

here is the service manual
    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...6164313762.pdf
    Its pretty simple stuff any tv repairman should be good with

I had a few problems with my system
    the fan running on seemed to be fixed by changing the thermal cutout in the head
    but I also changed the controller to a RH design analyser 500 at the same time so it could of been fine

Richard at RH design is still making "stop clock 500" and "analyser 500" for these systems so might be worth an email as to if the controller runs the fan or not

the RH designs units are f stop timers and work very well indeed
    i changed my ilford controller out as the touch membrane buttons were becoming unreliable but I would never go back to using the ilford controller now

regards

robin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin