Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,170   Online: 986

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Enlarger lenses...

I don't know anything about enlarger lenses, other than the fact the El Nikkors are supposed to be good. I know nothing about types, sizes, brands, etc etc.

I have an Omega B600 that has El Omegar 50mm and 75mm lenses with it.

I also have a Beseler 67c that has a 50mm lens on it.

I know that I have to have a 75mm lens to cover the 6x6 negative, so can I put the Omega lens on the 67c? Are they all threaded the same?
    Last edited by ChristopherCoy; 12-08-2012 at 04:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are about 3 or 4 popular sizes. These are nominal sizes:
    25mm
    39mm
    42mm
    50mm

For roll-film enlarging, the most common is 39mm which is a Leica screw mount (technically not M39).

Enlarger lensboards either have threads, or just a hole and you put a locking ring on the back of the lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The el-Omegars are entry level lenses that come as standard equiptment on Omega machines. They are passably good, but an upgrade to el-Nikors or Rodenstock and Schneider glass is in order.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Enlarger lenses...

Right. But until I can upgrade, can I use the Omegars on the Beseler?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    El-Nikkors are cheap plentiful and they are great. 50mm f/2.8 kind are the better 6 element type. Many of them have haze issues (all of them I bought did) but they are relatively easy to disassemble and clean. f/4 kind are 4 element. Not bad but for the price difference, I'd get f/2.8.

For the same token 75mm kind are 4 element where as 80mm are 6 element.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry to hijack but would it be safe to say the 50 2.8 and 80mm F/4 EL Nikkors would be good for student / workshop participants up to 16x20?

I am needing to sell a couple of spare Rodenstock Apo's I had reserved for this so I can pay for my 105 Rodagon-G and 150 F4 Apo-N...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Schneider, Rodenstock are generally regarded as the best lenses for enlargers, the Nikkor ones are good but the Rondenstock 50mm I have is a much nicer design with a light pipe in the lens assembly to show what f-stop you currently have. A nice little touch that makes life much easier.

As for sizing, m39 is the usual fitting but as said above there are other sizes but you can get plates to convert a smaller lens to fit your enlarger.

Each film format has its on focal length that is to be used.
    35mm film uses a 50mm lens
    6x45 uses a 75mm
    6x6 uses 80mm
    6x7 uses either a 90mm or 100mm
    As a guide look at what is considered a 'normal' lens for the format you are shooting and use an enlarger lens of that size.
    Hope that helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would strongly recommend having a mounting board for each lens you have. This will permit very accurate and quick lens changes with the 67C.

The El Omegar 75mm lens should work fine on the 67C. There are some unusual lenses though that are too big for the relatively small lens boards that the 67C takes.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Sorry to hijack but would it be safe to say the 50 2.8 and 80mm F/4 EL Nikkors would be good for student / workshop participants up to 16x20?

I am needing to sell a couple of spare Rodenstock Apo's I had reserved for this so I can pay for my 105 Rodagon-G and 150 F4 Apo-N...

I am printing 16x20 using 80mm f/4 EL-Nikkor right now. I have no complaints. I can see film grain sharply defined.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin