Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,466   Online: 957

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Dry air causing film curl - will film drier help?

With the dry air here in Colorado, film curl is a menace. I know a guy with a Kindermann rapid film dryer for sale. Would this help with film curl or make it worse? Would I be better off just using a humidifier?
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you drying with your film hanging with a weight in the end. That will help.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I am. It curls along the length of the film like long trough and a weight won't stop that. I don't have an operational darkroom yet so I am still scanninng. Newton rings are a big problem. A guy who used to run a lab around here said he used to always have a humidifier going and when people would bring film in for enlarging, it would sometimes take a couple days to get the film to relax and flatten out.

Oscar Levant

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also - what kind of film? Some curls more than others. HIE was dreadful. I always cut the curly stuff, put it in film sleeves, and flattened in my neg binder before using.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dry the film in the bathroom after you have the bathroom steamed up from a shower. That will help reduce the curl.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sly - Usually TMax 100 or 400.
    Sirius - This bathroom is rarely used for showering, but we do have an extra humidifier to simulate it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A film dryer will make it worse and faster too. As others said, you need humidity to lessen the curl. 40-50% is ideal for drying film. The dryer it is, the more the curl.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

FB paper too

Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    A film dryer will make it worse and faster too. As others said, you need humidity to lessen the curl. 40-50% is ideal for drying film. The dryer it is, the more the curl.
    In the summer time, I have super curly FB prints. Slow drying makes FB prints flatter.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a copy of Eliott Erwitt's book, Personal Best. It must weigh about 20 pounds. After my negs are dry I sleeve them and press them under the book for a day or two. Works every time... but unfortunately, being under Eliott's book for a couple days hasn't improved my images!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the same issue. Nothing seems to help. For me, it takes months of storage for film to flatten out.... Tmax, Tri-X, Plus-X, everything curls. Strangely enough, Delta3200 does not curl....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin