Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,761   Online: 947

Shooter
    Medium Format

Blocking out light in a new darkroom

I'm restarting my school's darkroom. The room I'm using was a darkroom years ago, then it moved, the new one was shut down, and now it's back in the original room. All the equipment is there, developing trays, a Beseler Dichro 45s, plenty of equipment. We even have a few bottles of liquid illford developer, though they're all about 7 years old now so I doubt they're still good. Anyway the big problem is that the revolving door from the old darkroom may not be put in for a while. The spot where it's going is currently completely exposed, just a door frame. So I was thinking of just putting up a double curtain system in order to block out the light in the mean time. What materials would be best for this job?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm using two layers of giant black trash bag available as "contractor's cleaning bag" from home centers in US. These are extremely durable and with two layers, sufficiently opaque. It's cheap, too. I just duct taped few pieces together to get to the size I needed.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would suggest two or three layers of the black plastic sold by gardening suppliers. Tape it across the top of the doorway and down both sides, preferably leaving an opening which can also be taped up. Then you just need to place something across the bottom to stop the light from sneaking in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Blackout fabric is what you want.

100% opaque.
    It drapes like fabric, not like a recycled garbage bag.
    No static cling or sparks like plastic.
    Easy to sweep to one side for entry/exit.

Visit your local JoAnn or Fabric Depot,
    Ask for room darkening fabric, or...
    http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail....b-b15f5956f690

Reinhold

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin