Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,938   Online: 828

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Solution for dim lamp on an Eseco Speedmatic head?

Hi, I'm a long time visitor to this forum, but this is my first post here. I'm setting up my first darkroom and recently acquired an Omega D5 with an Eseco Speedmatic Compucolor DLS C dichroic head. Everything seems to boot up and operate as intended, but the lamp seems very dim. It's a 250w 24v halogen bulb, but it's so dim I can look right at the filament and it produces an amber light. I replaced the bulb with a new one of the same type but it is still has the same problem. The fuses all check out and there doesn't seem to be any problems elsewhere. Does anyone know anything about this system? I can't find any options to turn up the brightness, maybe it had the wrong bulb when I got it? I can't find any info about what sort of bulbs this head takes, can that be determined by the power supply maybe?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hmm, Freestyle's bulb list says to use an ELC bulb, which is what I have. Is the bulb just supposed to be dim?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Call Eseco at Customer Support Hotline (800) 331-5904. I called a few weeks ago asking about their sensitometers and a representative answered my questions right away.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, I'll give them a call! I didn't even know they were still in business.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The guy at Eseco confirmed that I have the right bulb, but he didn't give much more info. He did say that it should brighten up when set to expose, but it just stays dim. Are there any common issues with enlargers that would cause the light to be dim? The fuses work, but would buying new ones make a difference?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have a way to measure the voltage to the lamp? A 250 bulb should be bright enough that you can't look at it comfortably.
    With my enlarger (not an Eseco) a bad power supply was the culprit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'll pick up a volt meter and check it out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I tested the lamp voltage and the first thing I discovered was my multimeter was broken. So I can't test it yet, but I strongly suspect it's the power supply. Unless the signal to go bright isn't making it to the head. The fan powers up and the shutter opens when set to expose, just the lamp stays dim. Can you mix and match a power supply? I can't find an Eseco brand power supply but there are other ones for Omega dichroic heads that look like they would work with the Eseco gear. Can this be done?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can you get a schematic from them?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I finally got a working multimeter and it looks like less than 3 volts are going to the lamp, both in standby and expose. So I guess the power supply is shot. The guy at Eseco didn't offer any advice, in fact it sounded like I woke him up when I called. So is it possible to get a replacement power supply from another manufacturer, or should I just shelf the whole system and start looking for a new head? It'd be a shame to have to give up on it, it's a very nice setup.

EDIT: I found this, any opinions if this would work? http://www.adorama.com/SD200379.html
    Last edited by Arcturus; 12-18-2012 at 01:40 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: New info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin