Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,508   Posts: 1,543,556   Online: 1047

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Love and clips...

I've inherited some film clips with other darkroom equipment. See the picture. I am now desperately in love with these. They are just perfect for hanging LF film to dry, but most importantly, they are perfect for hanging large fiber prints by corners. This way prints dry vertically and with minimal curl. Anyway, I want to get more of these. Does anyone recognize the clip? Who made them? And most importantly, where can I get more of them?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clip.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have never seen anything like it.

You could replicate it by modifying the clamping area of a crocodile clip and then soldering it to a strip of brass.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by anikin View Post
    I am now desperately in love with these. ...And most importantly, where can I get more of them?
    Check S&M sites . (Oh, and I also have never seen anything like it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

P.S. Sorry. I just had to parse, given your considerable passion for them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any chance they were designed for X-rays?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Check S&M sites . (Oh, and I also have never seen anything like it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

P.S. Sorry. I just had to parse, given your considerable passion for them.
    Isn't APUG classified as a S&M site?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Any chance they were designed for X-rays?
    Not a faintest idea. I was hoping someone here might know.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don´t know, but have a look on page 2 here. There are some that look pretty similar to yours (referred to as "King Concept")

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ng-Clips/page2

Maybe this could be a hint...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a low tech DIY option that works like the nice stainless clip you show.

I think I got part of it from an old Ansel Adams tip I read somewhere.

You take a conventional wooden spring clothes peg, and take it apart, and install the spring 'backwards' so the thin tapering parts - usually the parts that your fingers squeeze, which mate smoothly to one another are the part squeezed together by the spring.

That is what holds your print by the corner, or film edge.

I then undo a conventional paper clip, and use the small trombone part to hook over the wire line over my sink, and bend the fat part to run though the middle of the spring of the clothes peg to hold it up.

the next refinement was to cut off the 'backs' of the new clothesclip so that it does not tip over when it is empty.

The final 'twist' was to turn the orientation so thst the hooks aligh the clips 90 degrees to the support wire.

Now I have about 30 clips on the wire, can hang up to 8x10's DW FB's about 2" apart,and know that they will be damp dry without any touching the next one in about half an hour.
    After that they go face down on screens, and are all dry the next morning. Larger print sizes need more space betwen each other to not touch. But is is rare for me to print more than 10 larger than 8x10 FB in one night.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The closest I could find showed up under Radiography Clip in Google Image Search. I can't be sure, from their images, if the pincer part is exactly the same as yours, however. There are also similar looking items listed under Dental X-Ray Film Clips. As to where either of those items I mentioned can be bought, they're listed on a site called Alibaba.com, of which I know nothing. Both items seem only to be available in Pakistan.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your search!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you everybody for your help. I think Molli hit the nail in the head so to speak. I'll try to order from alibaba, and if it does not work, I'll talk to my dentist to find out where he gets his clips. I'm happy now that I know where these came from.
    Last edited by anikin; 12-15-2012 at 11:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin