Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,533   Posts: 1,544,002   Online: 1039

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Definitely you lose bellows extension if the lensboard is recessed, limiting the smaller size enlargements, however it might not matter to you, and you can always use the Setopla until you find a flat lensboard.

You also might be able to find a lens extender. 15 to 25 mm length should be OK. Nikon used to make these and I found a Canon RF threaded one (same 39mm threads), too.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have a 15mm Leitz extension tube with 39mm thread. Maybe that would work!!
    RJ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello Richard;
    The Durst 601 is a fine enlarger for 35mm and 6 x 6 cm. I would take apart the head and clean it up. A trash bag is placed over the head to keep it dust free between uses. Yes it uses the standard 75 watt enlarger bulb. A recessed lensboard for the 50mm, flat board for the 75mm. I really liked the negative carrier with the ability to maskout stray light. I went to a Beseler 23c so I could enlarge 6 x 9 cm negatives. You will need to pickup some filters for the tray for B & W. Have fun, Steven.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The Durst 600 series was designed for advanced amateur use and shipped in a protective package. For those two reasons it is not uncommon to find a seldom used or unused M601.

I've not used a glass carrier and its expensive to convert one to inserts if not provided at purchase. Using the laundry room for a DR I don't have dust issues. My condenser LPL and Leitz 1c are excellent blocking out dust once the negative is positioned for projection.

There are user dust complaints when using glass carriers. I assume dust wipes off glass easier than a negative and once the carrier inserted the 601 blocks dust as well as my LPL???

I reviewed the instructions Durst does not specify if a 6x6.45 insert is available????

With inserts Durst recommends using the SIXCALO heat-absorbing glass. Is their recommendation overkill with a 75w bulb??
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 12-20-2012 at 02:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    35mm

Questions About Durst M601 Enlarger

I don't notice a problem with dust on the glass. I use canned air to blow it clean every so often. I don't have the Sixcalo filter, but have had no problem without it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Definitely you lose bellows extension if the lensboard is recessed, limiting the smaller size enlargements, however it might not matter to you, and you can always use the Setopla until you find a flat lensboard.

You also might be able to find a lens extender. 15 to 25 mm length should be OK.
    Voiceumana; What a great suggestion. I tried a Nikkor 63mm on my LPL, set previously for a 4x6 print, using the recommended LPL recessed board for a 50mm focal length. To project the -135 neg on a speed easel the head was raised an inch or so; works great as I could then position a Microsight under the lens. The illuminated f/stops were in plain sight and not hidden by their position to the lens board. A Twofer!!! Ill try it out with a 80mm optic later.

Wow!!! so as you suggested I can use the 15mm extension with the SETPOLA and save money.

The 601 instructions mention adjusting the head forward (X) to prevent the column obstructing the easel with increased enlargement factors. What a good feature. I can't tell from the illustrations how far the head slides forward.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 12-20-2012 at 07:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My unique modification was to David White's 600 or 601 at his cabin in Newfoundland was to fit the light socket with a 13W compact flourescent spiral type household bulb.
    I then cut the side out of a translucent milk jug that was headed for the trash to act as a diffuser, to even out the light output of this odd shaped lamp before it got to the condensors.

There was a slot just outside of the lamp house on the way to the condensors that was perfect to hold this diffuser. Heat was not a problem with this lamp.

This was done because electrical supply to the cottage is from a rooftop mounted 20W solar panel and charge controller powered deep cycle battery bank of two automotive sized batteries, that run a 12V to 120V ac invertor.

With the 13W bulb there was enough power to print for 3-4 hours, and also have a light on in the other room for my wife to read by or do a jigsaw puzzle.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Mike, I have a CFB in a Kodak 10x12 Safe Light. Primary reason to reduce heat. So it's not a leap to use one in an enlarger. Your problem solving using available plastic is commendable. Is the light even?
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even enough that I could not see the difference printing test shots through a fogged piece of leader, mostly to substitute for a more calibrated shot of standard 18% test card that was 1500km away when I jury rigged this thing up.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Looking for a more portable enlarger (ie Durst 601's) I located another like-new 601 with CLS head. I can avoid shipping charges resulting in the CLS being less expensive vs the M601. I print with both a condenser and color head. I'm aware of each heads properties through experience.

I researched photo-net enlarger posts and saw some complaints. A few wrote the CLS light source was too bright. One had to stop down to f/16 for a 6x6 inch projection. The suggested fix was to dial in neutral density. Others claim the illumination too weak and the corners would vignette.

The vignetting problem seems to be configuration issues.

The weak or too strong illumination is unclear. Typical MF enlargements on my system are 6x8 inch B&W prints at f/8 to f/11 in a range of 14-30s. Is this timer and f/stop range what I can expect using a CLS head without dialing in neutral density?
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 12-25-2012 at 11:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin