Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,242   Online: 877

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although I use the condenser head much more than the color head, really an insert, I dont have any issues with brightness with 6X6, it is somewhat dim with 35mm, my guess is that I have the 6X6 light mixing box. I understand that there is 35mm mixing box, on my long list of to dos is making 35mm box as I have never seen on for sale.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The 35mm mixing box is labled; Sivobox 35.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The M600 was my first enlarger. Still have it, bought it 40 years ago, and it still works, it is a very well designed and very well built enlarger. I set it up every 3-4 years...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jk0592 View Post
    The M600 was my first enlarger. Still have it, bought it 40 years ago, and it still works, it is a very well designed and very well built enlarger. I set it up every 3-4 years...
    Oh my, one must be more active than that. Have to keep suppliers alive.
    RJ

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    "The 601 instructions mention adjusting the head forward (X) to prevent the column obstructing the easel with increased enlargement factors. What a good feature. I can't tell from the illustrations how far the head slides forward."

I picked up a like new M601 CLS 66. The head moves forwarding at least 2 inches on the bearing to a red line marked on the bearing bolt. It will lock in the extended position. Useful! Changes in elevation are smoother than my LPL 670. The 601 focus is also smooth. It's more convenient to remove the head on the M601 helping in portability.

The plastic LPL neg carriers are nicer in some ways & LPL has a masking glass carrier. The LPL has less column vibration vs the shorter and heavier 601 column.

A warning to others. Although I got the two mixing boxes I failed to ensure It came with a proper carrier for my -135 and MF needs. It had a glassless Sironeg carrier with SIDIA 5x5 insert. So buyer beware.

If anyone knows if a local glass firm can cut glass to fit or if someone has a carrier let me know.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 01-01-2013 at 05:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Most of my 645 MF enlargements are full frame on 8x10

When not using a speed easel I use one of two four blade easels. With a 33 inch/85cm column I expect the base of the column will obstruct the smaller Saunders 11x17 easel when printing 9x12 inches in a portrait orientation.

What is the most convenient 4 blade easel to use for my size enlargements with a M601?

Does a M601 heat up with a 75W bulb?
    I printed with the Durst 601 using the condensers vs the color head; still working through the CLS illumination issues. I'm answering my own questions which may assist those looking at buying a used 601. The Saunders 14x17 inch easel is not restricted by the column with my enlargements. There is a neat trick to extend the head a few inches on the mount bearing to give more easel room if required.

The 75w recommended bulb does not get hot and is no issue. I am using the 50mm Setopla lens panel, raised side towards the baseboard, with a 80mm f/5.6 enlarging lens. I have adequate bellows and comfortable head height when enlarging to a 5x factor, 6x6 or 6x8 inches. Did not check smaller enlargements.

The one time I used the enlarger with 2 glass inserts I had no dust problems. One negative was in the enlarger for 60 min and the print required no spotting. I know this will not always be the case but I'm hopeful it won't be a problem.

This is the best compact enlarger I have seen. Far better than an Omega B-22 and its competitors.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 01-19-2013 at 01:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by voceumana View Post
    Lapla is the flat lensboard, and best for 75 or 80 mm lenses; Setopla is the recessed lensboard, and best for 50mm. You can use the Setlopla for the 75/80 mm but will be limited on the smallest print size. The Setopla cannot be reversed. Both were available in 25mm and 39mm threaded versions, and I found my Lapla 39mm lensboard on ebay.

I recommend a heat absorbing glass in the filter drawer, just on theoretical reasons--that would not have to be Durst, just one the right size.
    I only have the Setopla lens board and use the 601 to enlarge MF. Thanks to a member recommendation I confirmed the combination of a 15mm extension tube with the Setopla is the equivalent to using the correct flat board for 75/80mm optic. Now you can install the Setopia correctly.

If enlarging MF suggest using a PH212 150w with glass universal carrier.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 01-21-2013 at 01:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Richard
    Try Focal Point for your AN and clear glass for your negative carrier.
    http://www.fpointinc.com/glass.htm

I will be contacting them to make me a set for my Durst L1000.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin